Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using it? I was using it on Dixie and made the decision that it was too many chemicals going into my little dog every month. So I've decided to use the Heartguard monthly and give her a flea bath only if she has fleas. I didn't see it doing any good with the fleas.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
My vet gave me a free sample, but I decided the same. The vet gave me a lecture about needing to prevent fleas, but honestly I don't want that many chemicals on my dogs!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dixie has had a few fleas on her. I thought it was dry skin by her scratching so much till I took a flea comb to her. I was bathing her in aloe/oatmeal shampoo for dogs. I'm using Adams now.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I hate having to put all those chemicals in the pups...heartworm meds and flea/tick prevention! BUT...I feel both are necessary for my crew. I give the Interceptor for heartworm and other worms on the 1st of each month and then I put the flea/tick prevention--Frontline plus--on them the 15th. That was I don't overload their systems all at once. My one dog has a flea allergy, so the frontline is imperative:( for everyone so as to protect the one. Also, we do tend to get ticks here, so better safe than sorry. I do split the frontline between 2 chi's...one application is too much for them and the vet said it was fine...I use a syringe to evenly split.:)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I can't tell you how grateful I am that there are no fleas where I live. I moved in with my roommate 3 years ago, and when she told me she didn't use flea products for her dogs because it wasn't needed, I did a crazy happy dance! Where I lived before I HAD to put flea stuff on Tango because the fleas were really bad there, and I HATED IT!! :(

I do use heartworm prevention ("prevention"....what a joke! :mad:) but I've done my homework, so they only get a dose once every 45 days for about 6 months out of the year (the heartworm calendar is printed out and on my bulletin board.)

Honestly, I get so mad sometimes....I spend a small fortune on superior food with limited ingredients and no chemicals or other nasty preservatives, same for treats, I buy special chews from the vet, I am choosy about even the shampoo I bathe them with, and then I have to go load up on chemicals to keep them flea/tick/disease free? :mad::mad::mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts