Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Penny is 9 weeks old and we are starting pad training. She is in a playpen when unsupervised which has a pad at one end for her to use. I try to reward her every time she uses the potty pad, whether it is in her pen or on the pad in our bathroom. I have ZiwiPeak treats, but she isn't able to chew them yet and isn't very interested. She doesn't seem very food motivated. What is another way to reward her for correct behavior besides treats? I do tell her "good girl!" and make a big fuss every time she potties in the right area, but I just wanted some input :).

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Maybe the baby food baby sausages in the jar, just break off a tiny piece. When ivy was little she was very picky. I had the worst time finding a food she loved. Thank goodness she loved ziwipeak canned and dried. I went through so many foods. With miss picky.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think you're on the right track with the praise. It's all tone of voice; you could be reciting the ingredients panel on a package of Twinkies and she wouldn't know the dif. Teaching them to potty when asked is a great idea, too. I read a book years ago (wish I remembered the title, or author's name); they spoke about The Poopy Song, and I've always done that as well while housetraining my dogs. When you sing, you relax - that's why many speech therapists suggest singing for people who stutter - and that transmits to the dog. It works so much better than "Hurry up, [email protected] it, Rover, I'm late for work!" You can put any words to a tune and it'll work (try to stay away from Speedmetal LOL); I find "Riders on the Storm" is nice and slow and lends itself to alternate lyrics very well. I wonder if this is how Weird Al Yankovich housetrains his dog?

·
Registered
23 Posts
They do say to use hotdogs. I used chicken, now we use treats. He could have a bowl of chicken down, but its the process of me giving it to him that he loves, not so much the treat. I couldn't figure out how to motivate a dog when he is not hungry and asked our trainer - i thought if he isn't hungry he wont want them, but thats not the way a dogs mind works. Apparently. Sparky learned a new trick today - he can dance. He is so the cutest little thing. What else have people trained their chis to do?. I dont want him to turn into a performing monkey - but he is really quick to learn and I want to keep teaching him new things to keep him interested.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Praising is very good, but maybe you have just not found the right treat
My prada was VERY picky with treats, unlike Gucci who will eat anything!
The only treat I found that prada really enjoys is freeze dried chicken, liver or duck treats
She also doesn't mind doggy sausages
One more thing, you can use their kibble as treats too if they enjoy eating it

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I've heard Cherrios are a good training tool.
My dogs love strawberries, so you try the tiniest piece.

Chances are there is something that will get her attention.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Mine LOVE cat treats. I don't use them very often, because I prefer the limited ingredient healthier treats. But I'll give them sometimes as an extra special treat....I think in part it's because they're so SMELLY lol!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Cheerios are good and tiny pieces of chicken hot dogs or baby meat sticks. You can carry cheerios in a pocket. My dogs always liked cheerios and loved any kind of meat.

Jeanette

1 - 12 of 12 Posts