Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Wow! That's Piper's size, or was before her aborted dental surgery last week. Rheana looks like a real sweetheart. Have you had her for all 15 years?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I rescued Re-Re when she was about one year old, so I've had her 14 yrs. She's tiny and sweet, but will defend herself if another dog messes with her. She tells me when she needs to get off the sofa as she can no longer do it herself. Re does not like cats and when one gets near her she'll snap at him. My cats then look at her like she's crazy.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
That's so awesome you've had her that long. Do you have any advice for keeping them healthy so long?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't really do anything special with my dogs. My methods are maybe a bit different but not unusual. To me they are not dogs and I don't treat them like dogs. They are small, hairy people with four legs and their own language. I almost never raise my voice so they don't have to talk louder for me to hear them. They bark but are not yappy. They eat what I eat. They pick at dry dog food throughout the day. I do most of my own vet care and all the grooming. I visit many vets until I find the right one and we only go to the vet when I don't know what's wrong or a test is required. Most of them have never been to the vet.They know the rules and for the most part stick to them very well, but like small children they will try to test me sometimes. I use a collar or harness when we go out, but never a leash as no one goes very far from my feet. If one does wander I only have to say "feet" or "feet NOW!" and they come to my feet. I keep certain meds in the house. An antibiotic, liquid benedryl, chlortrimeton, capstar, prednisone and a few others. I make my own creams and antibiotic ointment and shampoo. I also keep a water pill as I rescue many elderly chi's and congestive heart failure is common in older chi's. I can set and splint a simple fracture, but it's been years since I've had to do it. I know how to suture so I keep lidocaine when and if I can get it. Usually I end up at the vet for that. It's not rocket science.....just common sense.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the first chi's I had, Chloe, lived to be almost 19. She is the only garbage dog I've ever had. She would climb into a tall trash can, work her way to the bottom and munch her way up. She also had to have her own cup of coffee in her cup every morning or she would drink mine. Re is a sweet little thing though not very active any more.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Thanks manydogz, it's always interesting and enlightening to read how others are raising their dogs. You have so much knowledge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts