Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you guys might want to see something interesting from the hospital today. An African Dwarf Frog with Hydrops (balloon disease), pretty ugly, and pretty neat at the same time. These guys are about the size of a half-dollar, and we aspirated about 15ml of fluid from one of them. Yikes!

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Wow, cool! :lol: That isn't what's happening to all those frogs in Germany, is it? I read a story about hundreds of frogs that were ballooning to the point they were literally exploding... blood and guts all over. This one little place in Germany, can't recall exactly. Scientists are baffled as to why it's happening.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I have an interesting, sort of related question for some of our international friends... what do frogs say in your language or your part of the world? Here, they say "ribbet." I remember years ago when I started studying French, I was shocked to find out that French dogs don't say "woof" and French roosters don't say "cock-a-doodle-doo." Don't ask me what they do say cuz it's been way too many years. :lol:

Am I making any sense at all? :D

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There isn't a whole lot you can do for them most treatments are kind of general, and while you can keep aspirating all the fluid that accumulates, it won't solve the root of the problem. Hopefully this guy will pull through too! Another big problem is the lack of documented treatment or medical conditions in amphibians, so treating specific diseases is difficult since really, most of the "diseases" they have haven't really been documented well.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
Wow, cool! :lol: That isn't what's happening to all those frogs in Germany, is it? I read a story about hundreds of frogs that were ballooning to the point they were literally exploding... blood and guts all over. This one little place in Germany, can't recall exactly. Scientists are baffled as to why it's happening.
I heard that too Rachael! I was wondering the same thing when I saw the picture. Poor little froggy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts