Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Ok, I need some ideas...Smelly has been ripping everything he finds..he's been doing it for a couple of months now...as some of you know I got him when he was 5 months..he wasn't really potty trained or if he was he totally forgot it when we got him..recently he has been doing his business on the pad which is great but it took a LLOOONNNGGG time.....now he chews on everything...it can't be teething because he already went thru it..and his teeth are perfect...I don't know what else to do...is not like random ripping either.. :shock: he climbs shelves, open drawers, open cd cases..HOW DOES HE DO IT?? I haven't got a clue...a while ago we started making sure that there isn't anything on the floor when we leave that's when he started climbing.... :? I'm loosing my patience..and we've considered giving him up (we just can't do it) cause now Stinky is picking up the habit and they have started fighting too... :( Is not bad fighting but a fight is still a fight..they are not playing I know that...Any suggestions???

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Have you tried when you catch him, tell him NO! or LEAVE IT! and then give him something he CAN chew on?
When you go out, put him in a crate or get an x-pen and put him in it. You can get lids for the x-pens too in case he climbs.

It's a tough problem, just keep after him and watch him closely. Persistance!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D lol, I have tried ALL of those..there is no lack of toys in this house..they have more stuff than I do...when we catch him he gets told and grounded just like a kid...we've tried the crate..isolated him...you tell me we've done it...that's why I need a fresh take on things...he's chewing can't go on..just yesterday he managed to climb a bookshelf...again...chewed on one of my bf's cd cases till he opened it and left cds everywhere.... :roll:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
You know...Giz is into shredding anything he can, nibbling on the doors...I catch him and tell him no, and give him one of his toys....when I say No! He runs off with it....It's driving me crazy...he can't see a paper, anything without chewing it...

I understand your frustration.... :shock:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Vala, Have you tried closing him into the bathroom?

I am not good with this because I ave no problem with Gadget chewing anything except his toys...

I did catch hi chewig the blind cord in the bedroom once and I told him now and he has never done it again...

Sunny... the paper chewing is because they love the sound it makes when they rip it... hehehehe my dobie did that for months when he was a puppy.. couldn't leave any kind of paper down.. he loved the phone books best of all...

good luck and God belss

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ms_P said:
Where were you when he did this?
Not home. :wink: We already try putting him in the washroom when we leave or crating him...in the washroom..he climbs inside the tub and knocks everything he can...yes, even if is not to his reach..he can stand pretty high or just knock stuff by hitting it...also he chewed on the curtains...with the crate...we put him in it when I know we are gonna be out just a couple of hours...otherwise we don't cause sometimes we're out from 9am to 9pm or more...In case anybody wonders...this has been going on for months..is not like just happened yesterday. :wink:

We've caught him tons of times...but he never learns...and he knows he's done wrong even when we open the door cause the moment he sees the front door opening he runs as fast as he can and hides under the bed. :roll:

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I know exactly what you are going through! Mr. Peepers was chewing up everything. He even destroyed my couches. If you turn over every couch cushion I have, the other sides are all torn up. We tried putting him in the bathroom and he started chewing on the door frame. :shock: So we had to think of something else.

What I ended up doing is blocking my kitchen off so they can't get out. I have gates all around it. And it's still open all around so they don't think they are locked in a 'room'. There isn't really anything in there except their toys, crate, water and chewies. They can't climb on anything either. So it has worked pretty dang good.

I know you've said you live in a smaller place right right? Is there any way you could do that? Our apartment is pretty small but we still were able to do that, thankfully! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but I'll tell you anyway. When we were in obedience training, the trainer told us about the "Red Balloon Technique" to keep dogs out of areas you don't want them in. You may be able to adapt it to your situation.

Take a red balloon and blow it up. Don't let the dog see you blowing it up though. Take the balloon to the dog, and show it to him/her and act like "wow, isn't this thing great?!"

When the dog's attention is completely on the balloon and he or she is really diggin' the balloon, pop it.

Pop it and scream and run like h-e-double hockey sticks. Make a REALLY big production of it.

With Cooper, I only had to do this once. I've heard it takes 2 or 3 times with the more stubborn dogs.

Then, once you have scared the poop out of the dog with the popping balloon, you blow up more balloons and place them wherever you don't want the dog to be. It's good to start off with a few in one location - like put 3 or 4 on the couch if you don't want the dog on the couch and gradually take a balloon away every couple of days until none are left.

The dog will not want to go into that location or near the balloons and after a few days or a week, you can remove all the balloons and all is well.

I doubted that but it completely worked with Cooper. Now, if he sees a red ball or anyting spherical and red, he runs the other way.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Wow I never heard of that trick with the ballon but I imagine it might be useful with a really stubborn dog!! I am trying to envisage Smelly climbing bookcases :lol: ...Sorry Vala but it did make me smile, even though I dont mean to belittle your situation, it must be so aggravating!
Just to let you know, my son had a big yellow ball that popped right near Poppy when she was tiny, and to this day, she will not go near balls or any large round object...maybe it will help?? Good luck! :wave:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have heard or read somewhere about the balloon trick, and it does sound as though it might work. Give it a try - what have you got to lose?

I know it's very frustrating. I've never had that problem, thank goodness, but my daughter & family have with their doxies. They have literally destroyed two couches and a chair. They did eventually grow out of the chewing stage - good thing. I think my son-in-law had about reached his limit of tolerance. :lol:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
chimom said:
I have heard or read somewhere about the balloon trick, and it does sound as though it might work. Give it a try - what have you got to lose?

I know it's very frustrating. I've never had that problem, thank goodness, but my daughter & family have with their doxies. They have literally destroyed two couches and a chair. They did eventually grow out of the chewing stage - good thing. I think my son-in-law had about reached his limit of tolerance. :lol:
The balloon trick was like magic with Cooper. Maybe if you did it, you could catch him in the act of scratching or chewing and give the balloon a good POP. Maybe just the sound of the balloon popping would deter him from his evil ways. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts