Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I paid something like £250 for Jakes insurance for 2010 and was happy with that especially as the company have been fantastic in dealing with claims and their customer service is excellent.
I got Red insured and s he ws added to Jake they insured him up to the dagte of when Jake's premium expired and I paid something like £170.

Again this suited me especially as now both my dogs premiums are due on the same day and its easier to remember.

SO imagine my surprise when the renewal came and for both dogs it was £800, crikey and there was me expecting it to be around £500. I thought maybe with the new VAT costs and the fact I had made a £4000 claim recently was the reasoning for the huge increase.

After reading the new policy there was nothing indicating any increase due to my claim and the new VAt at 20% wouldn't add that much.

So I called my insurers and they said that the rise was due to having "Loss of Animal" an dthe amount each dog was covered for.

After a long discussion and explanations the total premium ws reduced to around £500 which I had originally thought it would be.

I am so pleased I called the insurers who where very patient with me as I found it hard understanding what they were telling me and they must have repeated themselves so many times.

Normally I just except what I am being charged and pay it, but on this occasion I am pleased I did phone. I also think what helped is, if I had of been paying monthly by DD I would have just let it go ahead and never realised. As I pay yearly it made me look and think...

Have you found yourself in as similar postition?

The positve thing to come out of this besides having my premuim slashed by quite a bit, is finding out that they do not increase your payments just because you have made a claim like some other companies do.

Deme x

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I just got pet insurance this year so I dont know about increases. But Im glad you were able to work it out with the company :)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
You have what sounds like a really good comprehensive plan. Jake's surgeries must have cost quite a bit. I don't think I'd bother with the "loss of dog" part either. It wouldn't matter what they paid out, if you lost one of them no ammount of $$ would be enough. Good thing you rang them to find out.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have what sounds like a really good comprehensive plan. Jake's surgeries must have cost quite a bit. I don't think I'd bother with the "loss of dog" part either. It wouldn't matter what they paid out, if you lost one of them no ammount of $$ would be enough. Good thing you rang them to find out.
Jakes operation dost £4000 and they told me as I did not have a receipt for hium the most they would pay out was £70 for "Loss of Animal" The section "Loss of Animal" is compulsary but it is now reduced to the value of £70and htat is the max they will pay out now.

I also got this section reduced to the same for Red even though I paid more for him.

We worked out that is was £300 for this for both dogs so over time it will pay for itself. Also if either went mising money would be the last thing on my mind.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I've noticed many of you carry pet insurance. What does it costs & do you pay it monthly? Can you get pet insurance when your chi has an exsisting problem? Just curious. My family would really think I'm nuts getting insurance for my chi when I'm the only one in my house that doesn't have insurance. lol

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I've noticed many of you carry pet insurance. What does it costs & do you pay it monthly? Can you get pet insurance when your chi has an exsisting problem? Just curious. My family would really think I'm nuts getting insurance for my chi when I'm the only one in my house that doesn't have insurance. lol
I use Go Pet Plan. It does not cover Pre-existing conditions. But it covers ANY NEW conditions. That is why it is important to insure puppies. It is about $18-$20/month each for my dogs. You can get insurance, but it won't cover the pre-existing problems. I pay a $200 deductible and nothing after that. It saved me over $1500 on Oakley's knee issue earlier this year.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No insurers will cover pre existing injuries and you can pay monthly or yearly. I prefer to pay yearly.

It is worth getting the higher insurance that gives life cover, this means that if say your dog needed an operation for Luxation Patella you are covered and then say a few years down the line your dog has more knee problems you are still covered If you don't take out life cover then once the dog has treatment for a knee injury then that knee is no longer covered which could be costly.

I am with NFU with an excess of £50 and pay £500 a year for both my dogs, not bad considering I claimed £4000 in vet bills last year for Jake.

I pondered about insurance but for £250 per dog I saved £3750.

Cheers

Deme x

·
Registered
266 Posts
May I ask what a "new condition" is?. Newly diagnosed or a condition that has to be proven that it didn't exist before the diagnosis?.
How about chihuahuas developing diseases later in life that they were genetically predisposed to?.

I know hip dysplasia develops later in older adult dogs that were genetically predisposed to this condition. I'm not sure if genetic conditions such as patellar luxation develop the same way or they have condition from birth.

So assuming this is the case, what happens if one has an otherwise healthy chihuahua with an under-laying genetic condition that appears later as older adult?.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Petplan doesn't care what the disease is or what develops later on, whether it is genetic or not. BUT IF IT WAS DIAGNOSED BEFORE INSURANCE WAS PURCHASED, YOU ARE SOL. They review all old vet history to see what existed before the policy so you can't get insurance just to cover a big vet bill you know is coming.

If you have insurance and an otherwise healthy chi develops a problem, at least w/ petplan, it is covered. Many insurance companies have a "maximum per condition" that they will refund you, but Petplan does not. You purchase the amount of coverage you want and your dog is covered for whatever happens or develops, genetic or not.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ditto Kristi

As long as an illness etc is not diagnosed prior to a policy being taken out then your dog is fully covered.
This is regardless of genetics or the age of the animal.

As an example, Luxation Patella is common in small dogs but as long as you have not made a claim or even made your vet aware of any knee problems you are still covered.

You can make as many claims over the years as long as you have "Life Cover" the yearly cost of insurance will depend on the cover you want, the excess and how much you wish to insure your dog for vet fees.

It is also worth considering how you want your vet bills paid. Some insurance companies like you to pay the bill then send them the invoice, others pay the vet direct.

NFU pay the vet direct which I prefer as it meant I never had to worry about how to pay such a huge bill.

Hope that helps

Deme x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts