Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's, i just wanted to ask a few question's about my L/H chihuahua Chico.. :) He has Chestnut/Red spot's/ticking on his legs and he also has a few spot's on his nose.. The BYB i brought him off said he maybe a roan...?? Does she mean merle?? He certainly isn't deaf or blind.. His father was a chocolate Chi with lighter points and his mother was a red/chestnut Chi... So?? Any help on this would be greatful :D Also, he is only 4 month's old so his full coat hasn't come in.. the BYB said his colouring's may change and the spot's/ticking may come out more.. Is this a possability? Thanx :D

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
It's really hard to see him in your avatar. Do you mean he has like freckles on his legs and/or face? Reggie has freckles. He's just a liver spotted on white.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Their colors often do change or develop more as they get a bit bigger, so its certainly likely that he could become more "spotty". He is definitely not a merle, I dont know if roan is used to describe a chihuahuas coat or not, but he does look like hes marked like the spaniels etc whose pics came up when I did a google search. Ive never heard that term applied to chis, but Id say he looks like a roan to me! Hes a cutie :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx Pam and Katy for your responses :) I think he maybe Red/Chestnut spotted, lol, like Reggie is liver spotted :) Reggie is very cute :D I also googled roan and merle and the pics are all from one extreme to the other.. I have only had Chico for a few wks so i have no idea about coat colour's and when the lady i brought him off said he could be a roan it threw me because i have only heard that term with horses!! Thanx again :D :D

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
He and welcome to the board! He is a cutie! =)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have posted pic's of Chico in the Photo Gallery.. :D The pic's are off my iphone so they aren't the best but you can sort of see his spot's on his leg's in one pic :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your boy is definatly a Liver Roan or Red Roan. He would have been born looking like a Red & White Bi-colour or a Chocolate & White, and the freckling would have started on his toes and gradually covered up his legs and over his body. The solid patches over eyes and ears are typical of the roan pattern too.

Roan is definatly different from merle, as Roan is a colour and merle is a colour modifier. Also, merles are born looking merle, where as Roaning only becomes apparent when the puppy is 3-4 weeks old.

I also have a Liver Roan Chihuahua! It's nice to see another one!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts