Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Chi lovers,

I am the new mom to a very spunky, tenacious, and unconventional 9 month old Chihuahua. Rocket or as he is more lovingly known- Rocky. He is my special little dog, who at this very moment has his snout pressed into my laptop's USB outlet (yeah, special) I have crossed over to the "small side" if you will as the only other dog I've owned was a big lab, and let me just say there's a difference between the two! I really havent the first clue about chihuahuas, so i wonder if some of Rocky's quirks are normal.
I have to be honest, I wasn't really looking to add a Chi to my house because of the things I've heard from other people- yappy dog, likes to bite people, not well with children, stubborn to train. And from reading a few things on here about Chi's I don't think Rocky thinks he's a Chihuahua.
Rocky for one does not bark, at all. Ever. He doesn't yap. I think I heard him bark once since we got him, and Im thoroughly convinced he did it by accident.
He's fairly calm, and would rather be curled up on the couch by himself, in what USED to be my favorite spot, on what USED to be my favorite blanket. But he will have bouts of energy and will demand your attention.
He's not a toy fanatic. I don't get it, is this a Chi thing? He's pretty unimpressed with the toys I've gotten him.
He's extremely particular and will not eat out of his stainless steel bowl. He actually went hungry for a few days until I caved in and bought a him a new bowl. Funny thing? He'll drink his water out of a stainless steel bowl :dontknow:
He's a man of style and loves dressing up. He's extremely intelligent and was housebroken on the first day. He gets along fantastic with other dogs, even an 80lbs version of himself. (GSD mix, they look exactly alike).
Theres so much more I can say about my little Rocket dog, but he's now standing on my keyboard, demanding my attention. I look forward to learning more about this fun little breed!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Welcome! Rocky sounds like a hoot to be around. I say my Axle is a Labrador trapped in a Chihuahua's body on account of him not having a typical Chi personality like his sister Chloe (and his appetite).

Hope you enjoy all the great info and lovely people an this site!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think you've welcomed Lacey's twin into your home! She's a very very quiet chihuahua (until I leave the room/apartment...which is when she makes her dying cat howling grumbly sound that confuses anyone who hears her). I've only heard her bark on two occasions: Once when she saw a cat for the first time, and once when we were at the park and she saw a pit bull walk by "our bench." She now sleeps on MY bed (which I swore I would NEVER let a dog stay on my bed), on MY side, burrowed into MY favorite blanket.
She, too, will not eat out of her stainless steel bowl. She will only *drink* out of it, and only if the water is at a precise level in it. She eats out of a plastic human dish or a ceramic cat dish. Dog bowls are "beneath her" I think. She, too, starved herself for days and days until I caved and gave her a different bowl.
Lacey, too, is unimpressed with toys. There's a thread on here in which I show the massive pile of toys I have that she has rejected. There isn't a single toy she will even look at, let alone, play with.

I guess you're not alone with a "silly chihuahua!" :) Welcome to the forum. I hope you stay and get to know us all. Be sure to post some pictures of Rocky. We're photo-lovers for sure!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My chis are pretty quiet to but they do love toys. Especially soft squeaky ones.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i heard stuff like what you have about chis and i can tell you! its a bunch of rubbish! its just stupid judgmental people! :p they are the most loving , happy , playful dogs you could ever have! he is probably just getting used to everything still lol , he will probably come out of him self soon! :) x

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Welcome to CP! Can't wait to see some pics of your little guy. He sounds like quite the character.

The Chis I've had have been playful, high-energy, loved toys, SUPER cuddly, demanding of attention, and sometimes a bit noisy. My Chi back home barks a lot when someone is entering the house, or if someone new is in the house. But that was just bad training on our part. It can be avoided! Not sure about eating out of a stainless steel bowl. Don't think we ever tried it with my Chi back home. I fostered a Chi puppy for a few days and she wouldn't eat out of ANY dish. I had to put the food on a piece of paper towel on the floor for her to eat it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts