Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oh. My. Word. Last night we had TENNIS BALL sized hail. It was the largest and loudest thing that I had ever heard. I am used to up to golf ball size, but this was unbelievable. Neighbors had broken shutters, windows, etc. We will not know until tonight if we have any damage.

We had "damage" inside. Ruby went crazy. She was clawing to get out of my arms (she is a scrawny, skinny but long little thing so she can be squirmy) and my husband said she wanted down so he took her and put her down and she ran like crazy, bumping into things like she was desperate. It was pitiful. I hurried and got her and held her and assured her as much as I could, quietly. She was a mess. She sat up in bed until well in the morning and then finally went under the covers as far as she could.

The part that made me so sad is that this morning she was still shaky and would NOT eat. These girls are little piggies so I felt terrible. She perked up before we left (got her favorite person, my husband, involved) and we finally got her to eat her breakfast. He had her playing with his socks and other usual morning routines so I felt a bit better.

She is shy and a bit skittish but her reaction was SO much more dramatically different than Hope's that it really worries me for her. I plan to hold her all evening once we get home. I REALLY worry now about the 4th of July!!

I know that she was not socialized in the same way as Hope and she was older when we got her but I am uncertain what else to do to help her. We get her out around people and while Hope will willingly go to anyone (and promptly kiss them up the nose) Ruby holds back like a shy child sort of leaning in to my husband or me.

Suggestions on what we can do or how we can help her? Thank you!!

eta: picture my neighbor took of the hail if you are interested.
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

·
Registered
212 Posts
We had a Belgian Trevern (sp?) when I was a kid who was traumatized by fireworks as a puppy, we had to tranq him every Fourth, and even still he would pant and shake. Poor baby. :(

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Aw poor baby! When Kizzie was a baby we had loud loud thunder one night and it scared the crap out of her like your little Ruby! She was shaking so fast it was scary to see her like that. I just held her and talked to her normally and kinda "laughed" as if nothing was wrong hoping it would let her see that I'm laughing and there is nothing to really be scared of! Well the storms that have come and gone since then she would still get scared but not as bad, again I would laugh to let her know Mama knows everything is ok and she should too! Well I think her hearing me laugh let her know things are ok so when we have storms now she still gets a bit scared and she'll run to me but she won't shake or freak out like she use to. I did the same with Shayley as a pup and she could careless if it is storming loud lol Good luck with your little baby! I know those new loud noises can be scary!

Forgot to mention this goes the same with the fireworks. When we do our fireworks Shayley will run out on the porch with us. Kizzie is still new to fireworks so she was scared but she's doing better with the storms so we'll see how she does this year with fireworks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi,

I would second that, act as if things are normal, laugh, talk normal, act normal etc.

I think if you try to reassure her like you would a human baby or child it actually does the opposite for our fur babies. I think they see your distress over their distress of the noise then they think there is really something bad to worry about otherwise mommy and daddy wouldn't be so stressed.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
A lot of people use Thunder shirts for their dogs with anxiety due to storms. It is extremely common for chis, dogs, really, to be adversely affected by storms unfortunately. I am lucky in that I don't have any, and, we don't have many storms!!

The thundershirt is just a pressure wrap for the dog, making it feel more comfortable and soothed/calm. There are other things too like herbal remedies, but bottom like is storms are bound to happen, Ruby will learn to cope. DON'T coddle her, as others have mentioned. Just act normal. It sucks she is scared of them but it isn't anything terribly abnormal so I think she will be ok :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with the others. Don't coddle her. Don't cuddle her and reassure her. That just reinforces to her that this is something REALLY SCARY and she is right to be terrified!! I know, it goes against our instincts, but do as the others pointed out and talk, laugh, throw a ball, etc. Maybe put on some music or something to drown out the sound of the storm. (That's hard to do with hail the size you had! Wow!) But luckily hail doesn't last long.

You can try a thunder shirt or bachs rescue remedy or similar supplements, but hopefully she will outgrow it. I'm afraid that she may have been really traumatized by the storm though so you will have to work extra hard next time it rains/storms to act normal and not let her think that the sky is falling. ;)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much!
She was still shaky tonight (at every little sound-the wind is still fierce) and again did not want to eat. We finally got her to finish piece by piece and normally she scarfs if down. She is also following us right at our ankles.

As I was typing this she went for a toy so hopefully we will see her returning to normal soon.

I was so worried seeing her run into furniture and such feeling so panicked. I just kept telling her "we are okay".

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I know the hail you speak of. My niece and her husband live down in your area and they were talking about it and posting it on FB. LOL We had it a few weeks ago and I didn't realize how much damage I had until the insurance guy came out and showed me. My window flashings are all dented, my deck is all marked up, paint all over the house is chipped and I don't know about the roof yet. My barn (metal building) is also all dented although I don't know what they can do about that. hmm
So, definitely call and have some inspections done.

As for your baby, I'm so sorry. That would be really scary. I know when it came through here, I thought my windows were going to break. The kids were standing in front of these three, 2-story windows I have and I was like, "GET AWAY FROM THE WINDOWS!" I really thought they would shatter.
(((hugs)))) to your little chi
Tricia

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
A lot of people use Thunder shirts for their dogs with anxiety due to storms. It is extremely common for chis, dogs, really, to be adversely affected by storms unfortunately. I am lucky in that I don't have any, and, we don't have many storms!!

The thundershirt is just a pressure wrap for the dog, making it feel more comfortable and soothed/calm. There are other things too like herbal remedies, but bottom like is storms are bound to happen, Ruby will learn to cope. DON'T coddle her, as others have mentioned. Just act normal. It sucks she is scared of them but it isn't anything terribly abnormal so I think she will be ok :)

With Kahlua, any regular T-Shirt gets her to calm down right away lol. She's never been fond of clothing, but it's not as if she tries to get them off or anything. If I put any kind of sweater or something on her she just finds a place to curl up and rest. The second I take it off, she returns to her usual bubbly self. But I usually just do this if we have lots of company and they aren't comfortable with her nuzzling them.. so far no storm fear just yet.

So FWIW before investing in one of the Thundershirts, try something she's not used to wearing and see if it'll work instead. I can't vouch for WHY it calms down Lua since I doubt her cheapo $5 walmart sweaters have ANY kind of pressure technology to them, but they seem to get her to settle down right away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts