Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my own life flashed before my eyes today when Roxy choked on a treat today! :( I feel terrible! I'm home from college for winter break at the moment, therefore, Roxy is obviously at home with me! My family just adores her, hence... they like to spoil her! My dad loves giving her treats (probably why she loves him so much!! lol) She always gets treats that are chewy, so she has never ever had a problem. I thought this treat was too big for her to swallow whole, so it wasn't broken up... she usually just naws on them anyways. Well... today, she decided she was going to swallow it whole! :( Poor baby was trying to get it out, looked like she was convulsing. With our help, she managed to get it out on her own. I didn't really know what to do though, I was caught so off guard! I am so happy she is okay though! She was a little shaken up after, but I broke the treat up into the tiniest pieces, and she soon forgot what had happened. Now she's jumping around everywhere! :)

So, my question is what do you do when they are choking on something such as a treat? I read a few things online, but just wanted to clarify... :)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Oh my gosh! It's SO scary when they choke, isn't it?

This happened to Rylie for the first time about a week ago. I reached into the back of her throat to pull the unchewed piece out. It was a normal sized portion of a cookie.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Hope did, too and I felt terrible. We had not given her treats yet but I wanted to get her firmly used to the training pads indoors (treats as bribery) so I went and searched out grain free treats and bought a very well known and well thought of brand of grain free turkey jerky treats.

I tore off a piece and gave it to her and she seemed to enjoy it. A bit later we were on the couch and she began flailing about and choking. I was crying! I grabbed her and she spit out some white stuff and then I looked down and saw the little piece of jerky. I thought that she would chew it up but she must have tried to swallow it and because it was thin and became slick, it lodged in her throat.

I took them back and exchanged them for a biscuit type treat like what she had. Nothing wrong with the jerky type treats-or that good brand-but I did tell them that I would suggest they recommend for a bigger or older dog.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
You did great! Your naturally instict guided you with the right thing to do, but the most important thing to do no matter how hard, is stay calm so you could think clearly. My hubby had a german shepard and he would give him pork chop bones. We were sitting around the pool when I saw the Shepard running across the yard frantically. I knew something was wrong, but not what it was. I called Jake to me and he was clawing at his face & mouth. I stuck my hand in his mouth and felt a huge bone wedged sideways in the back of his mouth. I yanked it out and yelled at my hubby not to give him any more bones. That was so scary, but I amazed myself at how our instincts just kick in.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not wish that this would ever ever ever happen to anyone else, but I'm sure glad I'm not the only one this has happened to. It makes me feel a little better. It was so terrible. I'm glad everyone else's babies are okay too!

Thanks for that thread Zoey's Mom. It's great and very helpful!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Kay thanks for posting that link, I am going to have a read of it now.
I always cut Honeys things up small and Hubby thinks I'm sooking her up for it, but this is the reason :(
I'm so glad that you thought so fast great job :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Aw that must have terrified you. Maybe you could soak her treats in warm water abit, so they are mushy and can't choke her. Bless the poor baby, I hopw she wasn't to traumatised by it, it must be a horrible experience.

I saw a book on amazon called "First aid for dogs" I am going to buy it when I get paid, because I would not have a clue what to do in that situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts