Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's becoming very hard to house break Roxy because she doesn't really like going out in the snow when it's freezing cold. Sometimes she'll run around in it for a few seconds, but if it's extra cold out, she won't even stay out there to pee. Usually she runs out to pee as fast as she can, but she won't stay out there any longer to go #2 because it's too cold, therefore, she comes back inside and goes in the house. She has come in a few times whining and lifting up her paws because they're freezing. What to do? I heard of MUSHERS wax... is this a good idea? Or how about boots?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have strong opinions about Chis in the cold and snow. We moved from FL to Chicago and our Chi had always done her business outside. We tried to teach her to pee on wee wee pads but she wouldn't do it. Tried the boots and she hated them & they're a real chore to get on tiny feet. We bought her sweaters and parkas. Well, a few months in the cold up here doing her business outside she developed pneumonia and almost died from it. We believe being out in the cold and snow was part of the reason (the other reason was the stress of flying roundtrip on a recent vacation). She had to be in the ICU at the hospital for 4 days and the doctor did not want her outside in cold at all so she became paper trained really quickly there. Chis were bred for very warm climates and physically not suited for below freezing weather and snow. We love that she does her business indoors now.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Put a jumper on her and go out with her. They are plenty able to deal with it for a few minutes I successfully potty trained one of mine in the snow last wi ter and both of them know the quicker they go the quicker they go in

Baby- sorry about your chi being sick pneumonia is fluid on the lungs caused my infection I don't think it's caused bythe cold I think 'y daughter had it twice as a baby but in the summer.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Mine don't like the cold, either, but they both hate the rain even worse!

Gracie hates the cold more than Pedro, and although I consider her house trained, she's just 6 months old so we're still really working to keep things going smoothly, which means I take them outside often. We don't have a ton of snow, but we've had a couple of ground coverings recently, and it's just insured that she does her business quickly, in order to get back inside.

We more or less have a schedule at this point. When I'm at home, I take her out every couple of hours, always with a coat or sweater on. (She wears a sweater 24/7, because I like to keep my house cooler than normal - gotta love a good hot flash!)

I know that at 2 hour intervals, she at least has to pee, and she does. She's also at the age where I've figured out her schedule on pooping, so I know when she needs more time.

You'll get through it, and so will your baby.

Have you tried shovelling out a spot for her?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't take my girls outside to do their business in the winter, I hate seeing their little feet and ears freeze and they get very cold very quickly and they're just miserable.

I don't do the pee pad thing though, I've litter trained my girls. We use Yesterday's news recycled newspaper litter and a large under the bed type of container. We keep it in the back poorch not in the house so the girls don't associate peeing in the house as ok.

It works well for us but from what I've read here other folks chi's do alright in the cold and actually enjoy it. I think it's important to treat each chi individually if one can stand the cold then go for it but if another just can't then try another solution.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Oh, and some folks here use the potty patch, the one seen on tv, my neice uses it for her chi. That might be an ok winter solution.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
My 3 have several options in the bad weather. I keep potty pads by the back door....directly under the dog flap into a run...then their is the garden out back...and finally regular walks!!
I have to say they really dont have a preference!! They just go wherever they feel like and never have accidents in the rest of the house. They tend to stay indoors in the rain but they all like to play in the snow so use the garden more then. We dont go out for long in the cold and snow though coz I dont think tiny dogs can take prolonged cold weather that well.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
We understand about COLD winters here in Illinois. We don't take the girls outside for walks when it's freezing cold, snowing or raining. We have trained the girls to use pee pads in the winter months or during inclement weather.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We just trained our adult rescued Chi to do her business indoors because the Chicago winters are too cold and snowy for her. She prefers towels over wee wee pads as she likes the texture (more like grass?).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts