Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this is gonna sound rather silly ;) but wonderded if anyone else has this problem ?

My boy eats only Royal Canin , well every morning when me and Fizzy wake up he gives me my morning kisses and he has bad garlic breath :shock:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hmm... I haven't noticed this with Angel. She is on the RC Mini Puppy formula. Just out of curiousity, which formula are you using?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I haven't noticed that with Zeus, but then he's on the Chi formula. I'm not sure if that matters or not. Is it possible he found a piece of garlic on the floor? I know that sounds goofy, but Zeus has done that when I accidently dropped a piece of the floor.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NoahFL said:
Is it possible he found a piece of garlic on the floor? I know that sounds goofy, but Zeus has done that when I accidently dropped a piece of the floor.
I don't think so as it has been like this for months !?!
Plus I don't often buy garlic so it is not something I would
have around the house !!!

( I know garlic is good for dogs ( and people ) so it is not worrying
me , it's just a sweeter morning breath would be a little nicer ;) )

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I also have not noticed that with my girls and they are eating Royal Canin Chihuahua formula.

I would check with a vet about garlic...I heard it was not good for dogs.
If I heard wrong let me know...but i was told not to give my dogs garlic.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
this is the second bag of roayl canin for Gadget and he doesn't smell like garlic... I love garlic so it wouldn't bother em if he did...

Do you brush his teeth?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
If I'm not mistaken I think Royal Canin contains Garlic....

so maybe Fizzy is like some people that when they eat something with Garlic you can smell it!!

Giz has some funky breath after eating RC too...so I feel you on that one!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Hmmm - Jasmine is on the RC also, and I haven't noticed her smelling of garlic. Maybe, as Gizmo's mom said, it's sort of like some people have a really strong garlic odor after eating something with garlic. I know we used to have a sales rep come into our offices that apparently ate a LOT of garlic 'cause you could smell it as soon as he walked in the door. :lol:

Have you checked the ingredients in his food - does it say it contains garlic? Don't see garlic listed on Jasmine's anywhere. I've heard conflicting advice about garlic for dogs. Some says that garlic is good for them, and helps prevent fleas. Other says you shouldn't give them garlic? So, which is correct?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
SunnyFLMum said:
Ok...the Mini Puppy contains Garlic...

The adult Mini however does not...
Thank you - sort of thought that might be the case. Jasmine is now on the adult mini.

So, since garlic is in the RC mini puppy, does that mean it is o.k. for them to have some garlic? RC is supposed to be one of the better brands, so surely they researched this? Not that I give Jasmine garlic, just curious.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Well I asked my vet this same question when I first got Gizmo...he says a saml amount of Garlic is good for them....

Then online I have read it's not....so....

So far nothing wrong with Gizmo...My toy poodle eats stuff with Garlic...since we're Puerto rican we use garlic alot in our cooking and Joey eats rice and chicken....he is 11 with no problems...

With that being said I think in small quantities it is good for them...most natural dog biscuits contain garlic also :wave:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies everyone :)
Spoke to vet ,she says small amounts of garlic is good for them , for fleas and for thier hearts :) I'm not worried about him it's just me that suffers ;)

Will give Royal Canin a call tomorrow :)

Sara :wave:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
They used to sell garlic tablets in pet stores. It was suppose to be good for keeping fleas off.
I never tried it though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts