Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bored I decided to browse through my website favourites and came upon the Royal Canin site.

I see they do specififc breed foods and looked up the Chi one.

Has anyone tried this, is it a good make of feed and if so how does it compare to James Wellbeloved?

While I tried going raw I found Jake didin't itch so much but since going back to JW he has started itching a bit more and I wondered if there was something in the JW feed causing this and whether changing to another brand may help

Thanks

Deme x

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
dexter came with it when i bought him, he loved it. then ppl in here said it was horrible for him so i stopped, that was over a year ago :p oh yea, his poop smelled horrific too lol, no wonder i used to gag to it :x

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
haha Pidge your levels of humour do make me giggle ! lol

I did feed all mine on Royal Canin Chihuahua. Since Hope is pregnant now ive just changed to a UK Made food - Wafcol? It was a 15kg sack and i got the puppy brand as Hope needs more calcium etc and all my chihuahuas are doing great on it even Vicki the JRT.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's interesting about the smelly poops, as they claim their feed reduces smells.. How do you think it compares to JW

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I don't know UK foods, is Jake on something that is grain free? If not you should put him on something grain free and see if it helps his itchies. Grains aggravate many dogs.

I personally would NOT feed Royal Canin... There are MUCH better options out there.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know UK foods, is Jake on something that is grain free? If not you should put him on something grain free and see if it helps his itchies. Grains aggravate many dogs.

I personally would NOT feed Royal Canin... There are MUCH better options out there.
Not sure if JW is grain free or not, I need to check.. why don't oyu feed RC and which better options do you suggest

Thanks

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Well I don't feed kibble at all, but if I did I would probably be feeding Orijen. Or Halpert was on TOTW for a bit.

RC doesn't have enough substantial meat ingredients. Its got a ton of grain, its just not a good food. Dogfoodanalysis.com has it rated as a 2 I think, and the food you feed now is a 3. Out of 6. So you can certainly do better.
I don't know if UK has many of the same foods or not? Check the site I listed above and look at the 6 star kibbles, those are better kibbles.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I had Tango on RC for Chis for a while, before I decided I wanted a grain free formula. Though it was a huge upgrade from the no-name store brand crap he'd been on before I rescued him, still it wasn't great. He came to me with some serious coat/skin issues (itching, flaking, hot spots) which seemed to get worse after I switched to RC, and his poop was soft and smelled bad. All that stopped completely after switching him to Evo Innova red meat. So, no, I didn't care for it much.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Yeah i found the RC was really greasy and did make their poo smell bad and the poos were big too.
My breeder had them on the RC and i kept them on it for a wee while till they settled.
I changed them over to Burns mini bites and they loved it, poos were small and not smelly like before.
Having said that, the little tinkers have been funny with food lately again, and now am trying them on Acana which is made by the same people that make orijen.
They are still picking at it but at least they eat again, lol

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Breeder sent mine home with RC, used it for a short while. Switched him to Orijen--he is mad about it. I used to free-feed the RC --he wouldn't eat it all so I left it out. Once he was on the Orejin--it was like his appetite woke -up. He has great skin and coat. Lot of good stuff like the fish oils and things.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
dexter came with it when i bought him, he loved it. then ppl in here said it was horrible for him so i stopped, that was over a year ago :p oh yea, his poop smelled horrific too lol, no wonder i used to gag to it :x
Yeah i found the RC was really greasy and did make their poo smell bad and the poos were big too.
My breeder had them on the RC and i kept them on it for a wee while till they settled.
I changed them over to Burns mini bites and they loved it, poos were small and not smelly like before.
Having said that, the little tinkers have been funny with food lately again, and now am trying them on Acana which is made by the same people that make orijen.
They are still picking at it but at least they eat again, lol
Ohhhhh yeah the smell of Rockys poops on RC was horrific, like really really terrible, its a greasy food and his poops were also greasy. And he had bad gas.

Rocky is on Burns and his poops are not very smelly at all, it doesnt stink the whole house out if he does a poop on his tray. Plus the poops are smaller.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I feed RC mini. Up until recently they didn't do the Chi one at pets at home but now they have it in and I'm getting that. Mine love RC.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
i currently feed all my chis royal canin for chis. it makes there fur really nice and also they seem to really enjoy it. i would recommend it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts