Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a sense for which is better. Mine are currently on the Wellness puppy mix and eating it (they are picky eaters, so at least they like the Wellness). I plan on keeping them on the Wellness for a while since they are picky and I don't want to switch them from something they like and seems to be very healthy for them. I've read that some on here use Royal Canin. Is it better than Wellness or about the same quality? I guess I'm curious for when I transition them into adult food later on down the road. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
They are both wonderful foods...I personally give my baby RC puppy...and when he gets finicky I mix it with Wellness Puppy Canned food.

I stick with RC because he likes it...but I wouldn't hesitate to try Wellness...

My vet told me RC and Wellness are excellent, but he leans more toward RC for little guys...

Hope that helps some :wave:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i agree, they are both great foods but for mine i use royal canin. chiwi gets the chihuahua formula and jumba gets the mini puppy. when he's old enough i'll switch him to the chi as well.

i started chiwi out on science diet but she got very finicky and after many food trials i found the rc mini puppy was perfect for her. very nutritious and the pieces are soooo small she didn't have any problems eating them at all. other foods i would have to break each kibble in half to get her to put it in her mouth to eat.

i never tried wellness cause the store by me didn't have the puppy formula when i would go hunting for a new food to try but i have heard good things about it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Chico is fed Wellness. I do agree, Royal Canin is an excellent food, and if for some unforeseen reason Chico stopped liking the Wellness, I'd most likely put him on Royal Canin for chi's.

Royal Canin isn't lieing when they tell you they have breed or need specific diets either. My cat has a very sensitive stomach and would throw up any food I tried. I put him on the Royal Canin Special 33 and he doesn't get sick anymore. (Just thought I'd atest to their good quality)

But, if your chi's like Wellness are are doing good on it, I wouldn't switch them just yet. If you really want to have them on Royal Canin, I'd wait until they're ready to be switched to adult food.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i have been feeding royal canin to my puppy because i used to feed him science diet and then a good friend (as well as the local pet store owner) said it has a lot of carcinogens and basically "bad stuff" for chi's w/ their proneness to heart problems and all. she HIGHLY recommended RC for puppies and then when he's a year old she said to feed him RC chihuahua. plus my chi loves it and he's a finicky eater so i suppose it all works out! :D

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I don't know anything about RC (besides a lot of people here feed it to their dogs) but I like the fact Wellness is more of an all-natural type of food. Cooper didn't like their dry food but he loves their canned and gets a bit in his dry every day.

I just switched Cooper to Flint River Ranch and he LOVES it. And it's true what they say, your dog really doesn't poop much at all on it. :shock: (unless he ate a white chocolate candy bar the day before.)

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Do you have PetSmart in Florida?

They sell Royal Canin for the Chihuahua there.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
i love my cheese said:
i havent seen RC or wellness around here. do you guys order it? im using nutro natural choice now but im thinking those 2 are obvioulsy better. where can i find it?
Is their a PetSmart or a PetCo in Boca? I get my Royal Canin from either PetCo or PetSmart they both sell it...however the Wellness canned food I get at a local pet shop as PetSmart doesn't sell it...but you can get RC at both of those stores :wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
i love my cheese said:
i havent seen RC or wellness around here. do you guys order it? im using nutro natural choice now but im thinking those 2 are obvioulsy better. where can i find it?
To find out where it's sold, run over to http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com for retailers carrying Wellness in your area. Most times, places that have Wellness will have RC as well.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
so i went to petsmart tonight to buy some RC and get chloe off puppy food since shes 9 months now and after i read the ingredients i wasnt too impressed. the 3rd ingredient was corn something which i thought wasnt the best for dogs and also they had that beet pulp stuff and i think i read that its also not too good. my nutro natural choice doesnt have that. just curious about it since i know the majority on here uses it. i also looked at a food called blue baffalo that looked pretty good. any advice would be appreciated. thank you :wave:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts