Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my chi's on royal canin for almost 3 years now, and I want to see if there's a comparable if not better brand out there to try.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
Would just like some info on food.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Royal Canin is just an "OK" food. There definitely are better (and FAR WORSE!) foods out there :) I would use those sites above, you want your chis on a 4, 5 or 6 star food. Most kibbles are produced by huge companies. This is hard for me to trust. So instead I generally recommend one of the two "privately owned" kibble companies still out there--Fromm Family Foods (Four Star Nutritionals line is their premium product), and Champion foods (Orijen, Acana). There are also other options -- like pre-made raw products. These are 100% better than kibble any which way you take them because they are less processed. There are dry/dehydrated products like Ziwipeak (kinda expensive IMO), and The Honest Kitchen, or there are fresher/frozen options available at some premium pet boutiques such as Nature's Variety or Stella & Chewy's. We love Stella & Chewy's here, they are a favorite!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about going to Ziwipeak or blue wilderness, but am having a hard time finding some of the better foods in retail stores, and hate to *wait* to buy online.

The dogs love Royal Canin, and with me being a part of their crown partners, I'm kinda spoiled with them. LOL. Hate to say goodbye, but I think it's time for a change.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i feed my chi chicken soup for the puppy lovers soul and use wheat germ oil as a suppliment. i have 4 bigger dogs (55lbs-120lbs) and i feed them diamonds taste of the wild. it gets expensive but if i save on vet bills later on down the line, it's all worth it. also i love your chis. adorable :)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
There are dry/dehydrated products like Ziwipeak (kinda expensive IMO), and The Honest Kitchen, or there are fresher/frozen options available at some premium pet boutiques such as Nature's Variety or Stella & Chewy's. We love Stella & Chewy's here, they are a favorite!

Kristi... do you order Stella and Chewys online? Do you feed the freeze dried, or frozen? How long does a pack last for you? Do you use this for their regular meals?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I get my ZP at a small petstore next to a whole foods store. A lot of the small holistic type pet stores sell it where I live, you may want to look into that in your area. :) The store also told me they can order it for me if I ask ahead of time, which saves shipping cost from getting it online.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I was thinking about going to Ziwipeak or blue wilderness, but am having a hard time finding some of the better foods in retail stores, and hate to *wait* to buy online.

The dogs love Royal Canin, and with me being a part of their crown partners, I'm kinda spoiled with them. LOL. Hate to say goodbye, but I think it's time for a change.
I was afraid to be tied down by online ordering as well, however i'm unable to find The Honest Kitchen locally and i'm forced to order and I can attest that ordering from naturalk9supplies.com only takes 2 ish, 3 days max to receive so I can procrastinate almost to the last day and still get standard shipping.

I don't think i'll ever go back to a kibble even a high quality one, I just don't like the idea of it. I personally don't like eating food I can't pronounce ingredients or know the source of and with THK for the most part it's sufficiently minimal so it makes us both happy, my pups love the taste and I can see the positive changes.

I have dabbled in raw, i've also tested ziwi in my house and because I have SUCH a sensitive stomached boy it's very hard to make a successful transition because even the slightest change in his digestion is a nightmare so I can vouch that it's definitely a gentle change.

Hope you figure it out, THK takes some getting used to for most, but my two inhaled it without asking questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My chi loves Evo Red Meat small bites. We put a tiny bit of water on it to soften it for her (she hates anything too hard) and she gobbles it up. It is a highest rated food and contains no grains at all. We are really happy with it. We are trying to get into pre-made raw for 1 feeding a day, but so far our dogs won't eat anything we've tried. I'm sure we'll get there eventually so for now they get Evo 100% of the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts