Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed alot of people do not know or understand dog etiquette, Since Brody has been home for 12 days and i have had ALOT of problems with other people not understanding he is a puppy VERY FRAGILE not fully vacinated yet he can get sick easily SO STOP TOUCHING MY DOGS! :angry4:

There has been more problems then that, but its too many to type it all out. So i figured i would start a thread on what owners feel should be a rule for dog etiguette and hopefully come up with a respectable list to inform people of appropriate dog handleing behavior such as keeping dog on leash during walks, Do not feed dog anything witout owners approval, Do not touch any dog without owners approval and etc.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
I think you basically stated the main ones. Don't touch, pick up, feed, etc. another dog without the owner's permission. With your own dog, keep on leash when outside at all times, unless in a gated area. Clean up after your dog! Don't take your dog to high traffic areas if they're aggressive or uncontrollable. Don't give other's dog advice unless it's requested, necessary, or constructive.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Adults need to teach their children to be more respectful of dogs. I don't know how many times I had to tell my kids not to run up to a strange dog. It got to the point with them that I wouldn't even let them go to a dog even if the owner said it was ok, just because they didn't ask ME first. Of course they do well now. They love animals, and wouldn't hurt an animal on purpose, but there is no telling the way a strange or new animal would act or if one would be scared at running children. I think that's important. If we teach our kids, they will teach their kids and so on.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Carrie, I agree with you. It's like the parents aren't instilling good manners and etiquitte (spelled wrong, but. . ) in their children!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
PICK UP YOUR DOGS POO WHEN YOUR WALKING THEM!!!!!
Sorry for the all caps, but that's my biggest "pet" peeve.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Carrie, I agree with you. It's like the parents aren't instilling good manners and etiquitte (spelled wrong, but. . ) in their children!
If a parent doesn't believe in spanking there are other forms of discipline. I take the chance to pet a cute dog away from them because that hurts them more than whooping em anyway.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Actually that is a person peeve, not a pet peeve, ha, ha! Just kidding! I get annoyed with people who bring their dogscoutvin public and don't keep control of them even when they are on a leash, allowing them to jump on people and other dogs. It just gives all of us a bad rep.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have a hard time with Oreo cause he pulls on the leash, but I would not allow him to jump on someone else! That is rude! Especially children cause he is big. He is like 50lbs. Now way!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I know! It has happened to me at Petsmart more than once. And I love dogs! But these people came barreling down the aisle at Petsmart with their dog making that gagging noise that a big dog makes when it is getting choked, practically bowled me over and never even said sorry or excuse me! Don't get me wrong, a dog has to learn and I only felt sorry for the dogs but the people needed training.

·
Registered
104 Posts
umm, it's my understanding a puppy not fully vaccinated should not be out on walks. That's the general mindset out here in So. CA. Sorry.

·
Registered
52 Posts
All of my girls (except Honey) are good walkers. They walk beside me and if they become unsure they go behind me or if I am still they will go under my skirt.

People annoy me to no end when they see the dog hiding and try to lure them out. I actually had one guy try to lift my hem up and I dang near slapped him, I asked him how he would like some one to put there hands up his clothes?

I can't stand barking, don't take your dog to public events if all they are going to do is bark and growl at everyone, or run about being stupid.

Collars, I hate them with a passion, I see so many dogs just choking when walking, harnesses are the same cost, are much more comfortable and most are easy to put on.
All I have to say to my girls is get dressed and they line up to get theirs on. I have been known to get 5 harnesses on in less than 2 minutes, I am that quick.

I have more but this is getting long, lol

·
Registered
809 Posts
Flexi leads - I hate hate hate them. There is absolutely no need to have a leash that is 15 feet long in public. The only reason I can possibly understand them is for a dog that can't be let off the leash to allow a little extra freedom for potty time, etc. But they should never ever be used in public.

Harnesses in general get on my nerves. For little dogs I guess they are ok but there is no reason to put a large dog in a harness. Simply teach the dogs to walk correctly on a collar and leash and there is no choking or pulling. I walk my chihuahua on a collar and because she was taught to walk nicely with no pulling she has no problems. I taught dog training classes for 8 years and all I ever saw harnesses do was teach dogs to pull harder on the leash, there is a reason sled dogs wear harnesses after all, it allows them to really throw their whole body into the pull.

Not picking up after your dog!!! Is it really that hard? Just do it people!

Barking dogs - If your dogs is a barking nut please keep them home out of the public's ears so we don't have to listen to them yap while we try to eat lunch at a patio, etc.

Little dogs that snarl and snap at big dogs and owners that think it's funny. Its not, it's bad manners, how would that go over if the dog was a great dane? Teach them manners whether they are 4 lbs or 150 lbs!

That's all I can think of for the moment. Whew!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Yes!! People around here are all pretty good about picking up after their dogs. I thi.k its because of the signs tho, plus the police will stop and ticket you if they see not pick it up. They are very strict about it here. I'm very happy about it because nobody likes to step in it no matter how small it is...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yes!! People around here are all pretty good about picking up after their dogs. I thi.k its because of the signs tho, plus the police will stop and ticket you if they see not pick it up. They are very strict about it here. I'm very happy about it because nobody likes to step in it no matter how small it is...

Oh how I wish we had that here...you don't know how many times I have to pull my little ones away from other doggy piles, or how many I have almost stepped in, ON the sidewalk no less!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Another annoying thing is people who have their dogs loose in their yard that is not fenced in, and when you waln by with your dog, the other one come racing down the yard and comes after one of mine. The whole time the owners just slowly walk over shaking their heads or yelling the dogs name, which the dog obviously has selective hearing. If the dog isnt going to listen put it on a tie out tether or put a fence up. The Lab down the road is like that. She isnt mean but she is big and wild!! She does just stand up and push on you but she does this thing where she runs and jumps and bounces off of you like a spring board. And she is sneaky about it. You won't see her and all sudden she is there!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I agree with all of the rules posted so far. I always get complimented on how well behaved Toby is when we are out... compared to the other dogs he is a prince! We were at the pet store the other day looking at toys and a mom and kid came down the hall with a lab that looked like he was one or two years old. The dog was on a retractable leash and he ran right up to Toby, almost stepping on him in the process. Toby just sat down and let the dog practically assault him! I mean he was standing on top of my poor boy sniffing and going insane. And the mom just sat there laughing. Eventually, I realized she wasn't going to call her dog off so I picked Toby up and left. There went our quiet time picking out a new toy!!!

I think pet owners need to be trained, too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts