Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Yes if it is just tear staining it can be the food you are feeding or allergies as said above. Sometimes it can be dust particles from the floor, etc... If they are noticeably runny as if he is crying then he could have a cold so I would get him checked.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
As to the tears, keep them wiped with a warm soft washcloth, or soft paper towel. My chi has 'sleep' in the corners of her eyes every am, and I just wipe it away. She gets really good food (5 star) and despite changing her food it just doesn't go away. Doesn't get worse, but it always there.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
In my experience chis eyes water overall more than other dogs, so if you are comparing it to prevoius dog experience then it might be normal. Excessive watering can be, like everyone said above, allergies or stuff like dust in there eyes or any number of medical conditions. I feed raw and my chi is not itchy and has no allergies- still her eyes water slightly more than my beagle mix.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Some Chi's do have watery eyes more than others. I'd put him on a decent grain free food & see if that helps. If anything...it should help to minimize the issue. Otherwise, just keep them wiped clean. :)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Gemma's eyes have always been runny and she has always eaten top quality food and raw. I've recently eliminated beef from her diet completely and I've noticed her eyes have stopped watering so much. We believe she has a beef allergy for various reasons. Also, it's no longer summer so I think seasonal allergies may have been playing a role in her teary eyes before. They're still a little runny and I dab them and wipe away any eye boogies with a tissue once or twice a day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts