Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So little miss naughty pants tore her incision open wider, and has stuff that shouldn't be hanging out! So I am waiting for Rob to get dressed so we can rush her to the Vet (my dad) to fix. I'm freaking out, bawling hysterically, have her tummy wrapped, don't know what to do to stop her from scratching the incision?

It's snowing, I have panic attacks when I drive/ride in the car with snow. EEK! Wish us luck, and keep Ziva girl in your thoughts & prayers that she will be okay with having another surgery so soon after the last one.

·
Registered
923 Posts
OH NO!

We are thinking of you and Ziva! Just try and keep calm, it will help her keep calm. You have the BEST vet in the world!! She will be okay!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Oh gosh, hun, I'm sorry! I know how frazzling this kind of thing can be. :( Drive carefully, I'll be thinking of you and Ziva! x

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Oh no, Heather! I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope she gets all nice and fixed up, and starts doing much better soon. Try an infant Onesie on her. You can get them at Walmart. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
:( I can't believe what a hard time you're having right now. I'll certainly be keeping you guys & Ziva in my thoughts. Drive safely (of course) & update us when you can....

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OH NO!

We are thinking of you and Ziva! Just try and keep calm, it will help her keep calm. You have the BEST vet in the world!! She will be okay!
Thank-you, the calm part was a little hard. Rob was too tired to drive so I had to, which didn't help matters. I did take some Rescue Remedy before I left.

Oh gosh, hun, I'm sorry! I know how frazzling this kind of thing can be. :( Drive carefully, I'll be thinking of you and Ziva! x
Thank-you just really worrisome. I don't handle trauma/emergencies well, I go into panic mode which makes things worse.

Oh no, Heather! I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope she gets all nice and fixed up, and starts doing much better soon. Try an infant Onesie on her. You can get them at Walmart. Keep us posted.
Thank-you. The problem with a onesie is she has an infection and it has to stay open to drain :-( Plus it would drive her bezerk and she'd be scratching 10x worse, she doesn't like wearing clothes much.

:( I can't believe what a hard time you're having right now. I'll certainly be keeping you guys & Ziva in my thoughts. Drive safely (of course) & update us when you can....
When it rains it pours...my dad's fridge blew out Thursday, on his way to go get one from my sisters house (not in use), my brother called and his car had died, so my dad had to go tow him home.....he had to replace the fuel pump. It seems like when it rains it pours. So bad things come in 3's so we think we are done for a while....hopefully.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back....what a nightmare the roads were, work/vet is 35 minutes away from me & Rob was too tired (he'd only had like 2 hours of VERY interrupted sleep because they were blowing the leaves outside earlier today), so I had to drive, was in panic mode so that didn't help matters. We put her out (gas only), and he suture the inside, and kind of a couple of holding stitches on the outside since it's infected so it can heal. The outside will have to heal on it's own. Although if the infection is looking better by Tuesday we may suture it. It's just the edges of the would are so infected/inflammed we can't put sutures in them at the moment. We did put an antibiotic inside to help prevent further sepsis. We also switched her antibiotic to Zeniquin which is pretty strong. I gave her Traumeel as soon as I got home from work today, as I wanted to get rid of the infection, that stuff works FAST by the time I got to work/vet her incision was full of pus/ooziness. So needless to say I'm impressed with it. It also helps with nerve pain, pain, inflammation etc. I picked up a couple of other homeopathic remedies to help with the infection as well. Also have some creams, aloe gel to help heal. I'm hoping she heals fast.

DANG her for scratching so much. My dad even uses stainless steel stitches and she got them out! Little stink! I thought about putting clothes on her or a onesie, but she would scratch worse, as she gets really irritated with clothes being on her for very long. I did get an e-collar as well so she's a cone head now. We are going to give her tranquilizers (a pretty hefty dose) for the next few days to keep her more sedate so she's not scratching, so it can heal. I really don't want to but she won't leave it alone, and we can't wrap/bandage it as it needs to drain. I was so frazzled on the way home, it was snowing pretty bad, and when cars/trucks splash my car while driving I freak out, had a panic attack and had to pull over so I could relax/breathe etc.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Naughty little Miss she is!!
Well I am sure things are going to get better now
and she will heal nicely!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Traumeel (homeopathic) is AMAZING! I gave some to Ziva before I took her to see my dad, it was already drawing a ton of infection out in the 45 min it took to get to the Vet, now, she is actually 'alert' and looking better & more 'alive' than she has since before her spay. She's been pretty sedate, except for the scratching the incision. So her getting excited & dancing around is a great sign!

Here's some info
Traumeel Information
Providing homeopathic Traumeel tablets is also said to help stimulate the body's own natural ability to kill or help protect the body against infections. This is not to be considered an antibiotic by any means. Instead, Traumeel helps to stimulate the body's own ability to heal itself.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'm glad Ziva is on the mend now. What a frightening experience! So glad you have your dad to help out. Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Hope she continues to improve! Is the wound from a spay?

And for what it's worth, snow stresses me out, too!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Heather is Traumeel a herb or prescribed "med"
you have to get thru your vet or is it available
over the counter? At a health store?
We are running out of holistic vets here!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
You poor thing, you've been going through so much with your little ones. I'm glad Ziva is home now. The tranquilizers sound like a good idea, since she's being so persistent. I hope she heals quickly and feels better soon. x

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I am so sorry.Little stink.I am praying she behaves.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Poor Ziva and poor you! I hope she recovers quickly.

If you can't cover the wound, what about putting socks or booties on her feet to keep her from scratching? With the e-collar on, she shouldn't be able to pull them off...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Oh I don't miss Utah driving in winter :( I lived in Salt Lake City for a while and that was, insane.

Glad to hear Ziva is healing up, little thing.

Hoping it picks up for your family soooooon!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
O Im sorry. Dogs seem to have a way to turn something that should be pretty easy and straightforward like a spay into a nightmarish ordeal! Naughty naughty Ziva! Must feel like one thing after another for you :( Hope she is on the mend and only getting better from now on!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm glad Ziva is on the mend now. What a frightening experience! So glad you have your dad to help out. Please keep us posted!
I figured she would have issues because she's such a scratched but good grief! What a little stinker!

Hope she continues to improve! Is the wound from a spay?

And for what it's worth, snow stresses me out, too!
Yes, she kept scratching/digging at it with both her teeth & her back feet. We put a little vetwrap on her back feet to stop her from scratching.

Heather is Traumeel a herb or prescribed "med"
you have to get thru your vet or is it available
over the counter? At a health store?
We are running out of holistic vets here!
It is a human product you can get at health food stores or online. It comes in a gel/ointment, liquid & pills. It is a holistic medicine.
Traumeel

You poor thing, you've been going through so much with your little ones. I'm glad Ziva is home now. The tranquilizers sound like a good idea, since she's being so persistent. I hope she heals quickly and feels better soon. x
Thank-you. So far I haven't had to tranq her, she's leaving it alone now, I think the Traumeel is helping with that.

I am so sorry.Little stink.I am praying she behaves.
Thank-you, I am too. She's definitely a stink!

Poor Ziva and poor you! I hope she recovers quickly.

If you can't cover the wound, what about putting socks or booties on her feet to keep her from scratching? With the e-collar on, she shouldn't be able to pull them off...
I tried socks on her feet, she pulled them off, but she has a collar on as well as vet wrap on her feet.

Oh I don't miss Utah driving in winter :( I lived in Salt Lake City for a while and that was, insane.

Glad to hear Ziva is healing up, little thing.

Hoping it picks up for your family soooooon!
Me too! Thanks, I hate Utah driving in the winter. People drive like idiots.

O Im sorry. Dogs seem to have a way to turn something that should be pretty easy and straightforward like a spay into a nightmarish ordeal! Naughty naughty Ziva! Must feel like one thing after another for you :( Hope she is on the mend and only getting better from now on!
She seems to be doing much better now.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Omg i'm so glad you got there and back safe I know that must not be easy with the panic attacks while driving in that weather PLUS having another huge worry about your baby! What a mess, that little stinker! The worry they put us through lol I'm really glad everything went ok though, the onesie idea would be so perfect it's too bad it makes her itchier....ugh don't need that! Good luck hon hope she will be a good little girlie!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts