Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have heard about the reverse sneeze I think people called it that chihuahua's do sometimes, and some people says their babies do some say they don't. Well how often is normal?? I get so worried when he does it :confused2: It sounds so scary!! He did it in the middle of the night last night at 4am or something. He does it maybe once a day or so lately, usually for about 8 seconds. Is this normal?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Just talk softly to him & try to calm him down rubbing his throat gently. Their tracheas are so tiny & I think they collapse easily causing them to sneeze. If you are concerned that he's doing this too much, I would get him checked out. Midgie sometimes does this if she gulps her food down too quick or gets excited, but as soon as I tell her easy, it's o.k., she seems to calm down & stops sneezing. She doesn't do it that often, but it is very common in Chi's.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Yep, sounds pretty normal to me. Gonzo does it just about daily, and Billy and Tico do it quite often, too. It's not damaging to them, try not to worry. I know, easier said than done. :) My peke does it a lot, too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both of you! I'll keep track of how often he does it just incase but it's very relieving to know it's definitely normal, my poor little guy though

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Mine all do it at least a few times a day, and moreso when they are excited.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You can stop it immediately if you pinch his nostrils closed for just a moment. It stops the inhalations that cause that snorting cycle and he will swallow and stop.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Yes, it's normal and fairly common. Pip does it when he's excited.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Auggie does it a couple of times a day, usually when he gets excited. Jasper, on the other hand, hardly ever.

My vet keeps telling me that it is normal and not dangerous, but it sure sounds scary.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey does the reverse sneezing in addition to having a collapsing trachea (I've learned to distinguish what's going on.) The reverse sneezing isn't dangerous but it will sound scary. As Tracy (Brody's mom) said pinching the nostrils or putting your fingers over their nostrils will help. Even distracting them stops it. Zoey does it a lot if she's excited. Her collapsing trachea epsiodes occur mostly after lots of exercise and/or running around or stress.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Both mine do it all the time, when it's cold, at dinner time :roll: if someone exciting comes to visit!!! It sounds scary but I just stick my fingers over their nostrils

·
Registered
852 Posts
Kiki does it maybe once a week and its nothing serious but I do think Gambit might have a collapsing trachea.

If you are worried, just see your vet although it is pretty common in smaller breeds :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys it definitely puts my mind at ease to know that it's VERY common I have been watching him but it's still really scary because I am hearing of this collapsed trachea? How do I tell the difference between the two?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mine goes through stages, just the other day I said to my mum that Bailey hadn't been doign it and then low and behold he starts doing it a few times a day. I just hold his nose for a few seconds and he usually stops, sometimes he just stops by himself. It is a very scary noise but I am not as worried about it now I know what to do.

Joy xx

·
Registered
602 Posts
I try to calm fiddle down because u can see the fear in her eyes. she does it mostly when she is excited

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
My cousins Chihuahua ALWAYS does this, he's been to the vet and he's fine but he did it so often it was a worry.

Shayley use to do it alot but hasn't done it in a while, Kizzie does this too bless her. They look so scared I hate when it happens. When it happens i just STOP what I'm doing and go over to her calmly and talk with her let her know she's ok and the whole time I rub her little throat until she is done.

Man it makes me sad to see that happen I know it's normal but the look on their faces esp Kizz's is so sad looking.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Maya does it a few times a day and from the advice I got from a member here, I just cup my hand over her nose and she instantly stops everytime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts