Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coco is now 14 weeks old and im starting to think as shes not really changed much yet she may just stay this sabled grey colour, any thoughts?
This is her today

Not proper pics just trying to catch her colour close up!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think its too early to tell. All my L/C were still changing colour at 1 year.
Oh ok well thats good to know, i thought if she was gonna change she would have started by now, Sarahs Daisy changed by 14 weeks, i think anyway??
so thats y i was thinking maybe she will just stay this colour!
thanks!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
She's got lots of cream under her.. I saw a dog that i think will look like her ages ago and i wanted him ha ha but i can't find the picture now!!

I think she'll have a lot of blue/grey on the ends of her fur!!

Daisy is majorly furry and changed v v v quickly!! I dunno if thats the norm or not.. i'm still gonna look for this picture of this dog i think she'll look like

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Oh ok well thats good to know, i thought if she was gonna change she would have started by now, Sarahs Daisy changed by 14 weeks, i think anyway??
so thats y i was thinking maybe she will just stay this colour!
thanks!
They do change a lot as pups, about the age of coco now, but they sometimes carry on changing for a year or so

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A friend of mine had a similar coloured chi, it changed completely to blonde, we were all suprised!!!!!
Ha really?? thats the beauty of chis, they suprise u!
Shes got me excited to see her grow more so than any other breed iv had!
Her mums blonde and white and her dad was pure white so she was a wierd colour to get, but her mum has the same white face Coco has!

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I have heard breeders say that they can actually change colors for 2 years. Maybe Lisa would know.
This is what happened to my Jet. As a puppy he was quite dark (8 weeks) then at about 15 weeks he went quite light then a little dark up until he was around a year and a half then darker when her turned 2. Hes now the same colour as he was when he was 2. (Hes 3 and a half now)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
if you look back at her pup pics you can see she has changed but remember coats take time to grow out so you might not see any real changes until a few months later and keep going to about 2yrs old. I have a sable girl too and I was thinking ok come on when are you going to change then I looked back at her pics from the breeder and noticed it more that she did change some. I am like you look at so many pics of sables and say when are you going to look like that? LOL they will when its time.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you look back at her pup pics you can see she has changed but remember coats take time to grow out so you might not see any real changes until a few months later and keep going to about 2yrs old. I have a sable girl too and I was thinking ok come on when are you going to change then I looked back at her pics from the breeder and noticed it more that she did change some. I am like you look at so many pics of sables and say when are you going to look like that? LOL they will when its time.
Ye she has gotten a bit lighter def, but not alot, im just being so impatient but it feels like iv had her years not weeks, it feels like its taking alot longer than it actually is ya kno!
Wat colour sable is yours?
Its wierd iv not seen an awful lot of pics of adult sables!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
here is Cali as a pup first pic I got from the breeder of her

and now at 16 wks

she is a red and white black sabled long coat.
I can't wait to see how my Cali and your Coco changes coat colors:coolwink:

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I think you've seen pictures of my Mari & how much she's changed? To me it looks like Coco hasn't yet started loosing her puppy coat. When that happens - then you'll start to see her adult coat growing in & can see what color is going to grow in. But the sabling...if she ends up having it won't show up until it's about grown in. Mari had a lot of sabling as a pup & nnow really doesn't have much except on her tail & a bit down the middle of her back. (she had a "stripe down her back for a while)

Anyway, it's definitely too early to tell but chances are she will probably loose much of her sabling & will be a little blondie with maybe some light blue sabling here & there.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here is Cali as a pup first pic I got from the breeder of her

and now at 16 wks

she is a red and white black sabled long coat.
I can't wait to see how my Cali and your Coco changes coat colors:coolwink:
Oh yey thanks for posting those pics! love seeing colour change pics!
Cocos got the same black line on her back and tail, wen i 1st got her she just had loads of black hairs on her back,but now they have narrowed into a line!
Your baby is lovely!!!
I know i cant wait to know wat her adult colour will be!

I think you've seen pictures of my Mari & how much she's changed? To me it looks like Coco hasn't yet started loosing her puppy coat. When that happens - then you'll start to see her adult coat growing in & can see what color is going to grow in. But the sabling...if she ends up having it won't show up until it's about grown in. Mari had a lot of sabling as a pup & nnow really doesn't have much except on her tail & a bit down the middle of her back. (she had a "stripe down her back for a while)

Anyway, it's definitely too early to tell but chances are she will probably loose much of her sabling & will be a little blondie with maybe some light blue sabling here & there.
Yes i have seen pretty Maris pics! Shes changed loads!
Her fur now is thick and fluffy so still baby hair,will her baby hair actually fall out or does it just grow longer?
I imagine she`ll still have some dark tips black or grey no matter wat but we`ll see! And her tails v dark so that might stay too!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cali actually has a really similar shape to Coco, very similar, her legs, body, tail, head even looks really like Cocos only a diff colour!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Her fur now is thick and fluffy so still baby hair,will her baby hair actually fall out or does it just grow longer?
I imagine she`ll still have some dark tips black or grey no matter wat but we`ll see! And her tails v dark so that might stay too!
It will fall out. Her adult coat will come in a different texture & sometimes a different color. Sometimes the change is dramatic (Mari lost almost her entire coat in a couple weeks time) but sometimes the change is very gradual & you won't really notice much of a difference visually until a long period of time has passed. But her coat probably won't always be fluffy & soft like it is now. It typically ends up being more silky like...but it could vary depending on her genetics. I've seen some Chi's very fluffy so you never know. But the majority are more silky.

You'll be surprised at what she ends up as I bet. I have a friend (2cheese here) who has a blue sabled fawn pup who looks somewhat similar to your Coco. She is in the midst of her "puppy uglies" right now and has lost most of her blue sabling except for a stripe down her back & she still has a blue mask so far. She is 5 months old now I believe. Anyway, time will tell what Coco will end up as. Regardless...she will be beautiful that is one thing for sure! :)

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
My Rosie started off as a very light brown body with black mask then went sable with black mask, now aged 10 years old she has a black stripe down her back and her tail and all her face and neck are now white and still sable on her body.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts