Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have to vent. My bearded dragon (Asuka) died just 10 minutes ago :cry:
She has been sick for a while and I have been trying so hard to save her. I have been giving her B12 injections along with vitamine D injections. I have been supplementing her food and trying very hard to get her to eat but she just starved herself. She was only 3 months old :cry:
When I got home from work today she was in the corner cold and not moving. I spend 3 hours trying to revive her...putting her on hotwater bottles, giving her tiny amounts of gateraide, and keeping her under a heat light. She was gasping instead of breathing...every so often she would wake up and run around in the little box i set up for her to keep her warm. I watched helplessly as she died. I am so sad right now. I feel like I did something wrong since she was just a baby. I tried so hard to keep her alive. I feel like I failed her.
I called the exotic vet I work for and she knew that Asuka was going to die but she would never tell me that...she just told me to keep her warm and try to give her fluids.
Its been such a long week and this wasnt how I wanted it to end. I never even took a picture of her.
I know it must sound silly being so upset over a lizard, but she was such a spunky girl and I fell in love with her.
I havent had the heart to take her out of her cage yet....I have to figure out where I want to burry her. Maybe I will take her to my mothers tomorrow and burry her next to my original bearded dragon who passed this year.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She at the first couple days I had her and then she stopped. I kept taking her to the vet but there was nothing they could find that was wrong with her (as far as paracites go)
I followed their instructions to the letter....giving her b12 injections every couple weeks along with some vitamin D. I just bought more vitamin D yesterday. *sigh*
She was really active and spunky up till today. Even last night she was fine...running around acting like her normal self. I had been force feeding her....I guess she was just sick and there was nothing I could do.
I think I will hold off from buying another. I still have my male Shinji and I think that will be all for now. I also think I will not buy a baby next time...its tons of fun to watch them grow but I think I would feel more comfortable with an adolescent.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm so sorry that it had to end like that. But I don't think it was your fault if the vet already knew she was going to pass. Bless you and Asuka.

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
Jess, this was not your fault! you tried everything to save Asuka :cry: - at least she is'nt in pain anymore - thinking of you :wave:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
So sorry to hear your sad news PLEASE DO NOT blame yourself ok .
I have 3 beared dragons and they are not easy to raise , you did EVERYTHING right , very often beardie babys just don't make it :(
They can really suffer badly from parasites as well :( ( NOTHING to do with you , they are often born with them ... ) please don't feel bad , you did nothing wrong ....

Sara xxx

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Angel5218 said:
I know it must sound silly being so upset over a lizard, but she was such a spunky girl and I fell in love with her

It doesn't sound silly at all , beardies have geat personalitys &
I'm sure she knew you were there for her :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all,
I feel a tad better today. My vet called me today to see how she was. I told her she passed and she did end up saying that she thought she would and that she was shocked she lived as long as she did. I am so lucky to work with such a good exotic vet who doesnt mind me calling her at home :wink:
She really never seemed like she was in pain....she was running around being normal up till yesterday and yesterday it was like she was sleeping and just didnt have the energy to wake up. Okay not thinking about it cause it will make me cry again.
Anyway thanks again for all the kind words.

PS - uck...okay so I ended up crying again....Ginger just LOVES my bearded dragons and every morning she runs to their cages and play bows at them. This morning she just sat there and looked into Asuka's cage...no play bow...just looked like "wheres my friend". She didnt even go to Shinji's cage. Ginger is so cute...she is scared of just about everything esle but LOVES the dragons...when Shinji is out she is right next to him...playbowing and barking in that really hight-pitched play bark. She never touches him though and he just sits there and watches her. Asuka would hiss and puff her beard at her...but thats because Ginger could eat her in one bite...lol. Oh its so fun to have pets.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
:( I'm sorry to hear that Jess. I don't think it's silly that you are upset. it was still one of your pets that you loved.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I'm so sorry - I don't think it's silly at all that you are upset and sad.

I remember when my kids were younger, they had hamsters. There was this one particular hamster we named Mitzi that was just the sweetest thing. I came home from work one day and found her dead in the bottom of her cage. She had been fine the day before. I was so upset, I cried more than the kids did.

You did the very best you could, so please don't feel it is your fault.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts