Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Dont know if you all remember but about a couple months ago I was talking about this one older chi that got loose and ran away from his family. He is a frequent patient at the animal hospital I work for and without his meds he was in big trouble. About 3wks later the owners got a phone call from a family about an hour away saying they think they just adopted their dog from a shelter in their town. It was freak chance they read the classifieds that day and saw the add for the missing chi named Ren.

I love this dog and was so sad when he went missing and I was there to hand him back over to his parents when he was found and brought to us right away.

Today Ren came back in with difficulty breathing. His x-rays showed pretty sever heart failur and fluid-filled lungs....he was pretty bad off. He is also 13yrs old and suffers from heart problems and seizures.

His parents went home with him so their kids could say their goodbyes. They came back with him a couple hours later to euthanize him. They asked for me to be there to assist the docs since we had become chi buddies. I cried with them as they said their final goodbyes and held him while the vet gave him the shot. He was the first patient I actually became attached too and who's family i have gotten to know. I always loved seeing him and now he has gone to the rainbow bridge.

The girls at work were very understanding and let me take care of his body afterwards. I made a very cute clay paw for his family (make an imprint of his two front paws on a clay disk and put his name on the top) and bagged him up in his favorit bed. I dont think we are really allowed to bag up a deseased animal with anything else, but the family asked if he could be creamated with his favorite bed and I coudlnt say no. I also couldnt stand thinking of him being in the freezer...as silly as it sounds (because he is dead) I just didnt like the idea of him being all cold in our freezer...I positioned him in his nice fleace bed as if that would keep him warmer. Basically I treated him as if he was my own...though I do this for all animals he held a special place in my heart.

It was a very sad day for me and I had to vent about it. But quencidently not 30minutes later we had a new client come in with their 10wk old chihuahua puppy. I talked with her for a couple minutes and showed her how to trim nails and gave her some chi advise since this was her first. I got to see the worst part of my job and the best part all withint a half hour of themselves.

RIP little Renny!

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Awwww...the poor baby!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Geez, i think I'd lose it if someone told me Britney would have to "fall asleep for a long time." :cry:

I think if I were you, I'da been crying too.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normally I can hold it together pretty well, but whenever its a dog that I have gotten to know and especially with Ren who went through so much and to have gone missing and had been reunited with his owners...it was very heartbreaking to watch them say goodbye when they got him back only two months ago.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I'm so sorry. I remember when you posted the story about Ren and how great you felt the day you were able to hand him back to his family. I'm glad the little guy got to spend his final months with his own people who loved him enough to do the right thing. I think it's only fitting that you were there with him too, as hard as it was on you. :cry:

I'm also glad you cried because I think it means so much to parents when they see how well you understand and how much you care. I don't think it was silly at all for you to care about him being in that freezer either.

I've never heard of the clay paw but I imagine that final keepsake must mean the world to loving parents.

You did good, Jess. Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
speaking on both sides of a similar situation i had a co-worker in the room with me when it was time to put tasha bird down. it was so hard and i cried my eyes out. the vet couldn't really look at me he felt the pain as well and my coo-worker/friend cried along with me. i liked having "real" people in the room with me. it would have made things weird if they just did their job and kept a business like face and that was that. if it comes down to me having to euthanize anymore of my babies i wish for someone like you Jess to be there with me. i've been that person for a few clients and i could tell they felt how i feel about having "real" emotional people being there for them.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
That is terribly sad. :( They were fortunate to have him for his last couple of months and to have someone like you to be there with them.

Last year when I had to have my chi, Tia, PTS, both my vet and the vet tech were there crying with me. Nothing takes the pain away, but it did help to know that they really cared, and weren't just doing a "job".

Bless you for caring.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
omg that would make me so miserable ...i really can't stand things like that ,it would break my heart :cry:
good thing there's that good part of the job ,wich probably makes it all worth while :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
chimom said:
That is terribly sad. :( They were fortunate to have him for his last couple of months and to have someone like you to be there with them.

Last year when I had to have my chi, Tia, PTS, both my vet and the vet tech were there crying with me. Nothing takes the pain away, but it did help to know that they really cared, and weren't just doing a "job".

Bless you for caring.
Someday I'll tell you about the horrible vet experience when I had Gracie put to sleep. She was so bad (i.e., totally unfeeling and thoughtless) I wrote a letter to the owner of the vet clinic and ended up changing vets entirely.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
chimom said:

Bless you for caring.
Someday I'll tell you about the horrible vet experience when I had Gracie put to sleep. She was so bad (i.e., totally unfeeling and thoughtless) I wrote a letter to the owner of the vet clinic and ended up changing vets entirely.
Aww, Rach, I am so sorry. It's a devastating experience to go through without having to deal with someone uncaring and thoughtless. <<<hugs>>>

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats horrible. I am so sorry you had to go through that. Gosh you would think some of these docs would take 5 minutes and at least pretend they care when they are putting your pet down. Luckly our vets are pretty good with that. I hope you have found a much more caring vet.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I'm so sorry It must have been horrible for you but what a blessing you were to that family :( I admire people like you who can doo that work cause i don't think I could

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ren's mom came by with a big garbage bag and asked for me. She handed me the bag and said it was for me.
It was this REALLY NICE crushed velvit bed for my chi's. I guess it was suppose to be for Ren but they just got it about two weeks ago and he never got to use it. She wanted me to have it cause she knew I had chi's and thought they would like it :) :cry:

I thought that was so nice of her...I almost started to cry again. I will see her later this week when she brings her other chi in for shots and thats when I can give her the finished clay paw I made for her.

80% of the time the owners are kindof mean to us so its really nice when you get the one who really understood that we are there to help them....I know it made my day :D

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Angel5218 said:
80% of the time the owners are kindof mean to us so its really nice when you get the one who really understood that we are there to help them....I know it made my day :D
that surprises me, I mean I know people are dealing with their grief but its not your fault! That was nice, post a pic of the bed when u can!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts