Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sort of toys/chews do you leave with your little ones to keep them occupied when you go out?

I plan to walk Louie in the morning before work but not really sure what toys I can leave him other than the usual Kong toys. What do you all put inside your kongs?

I don't know if he would chew a nylabone but are they okay to be left with?
And maybe a treat ball with a few pieces of kibble in?

I just don't want the little fella to be bored while I'm out x

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
You can leave him with little stuffed toys, and kongs and treat balls as you mentioned. You might also hunt down some bully sticks for him. Usually dogs will sleep a lot during the day, although mine always have made a mess when I get home so my guess is they don't JUST sleep. The hard nylabones are great.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can leave him with little stuffed toys, and kongs and treat balls as you mentioned. You might also hunt down some bully sticks for him. Usually dogs will sleep a lot during the day, although mine always have made a mess when I get home so my guess is they don't JUST sleep. The hard nylabones are great.
I'm not sure if we can get Bully Sticks here in the UK. Are they okay for them to be left alone with? I thought about rawhide chews but my friend said he could choke on it when i'm not there which is a scary thought.

What about pigs ears and trachea etc or are they best supervised?

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Ok heres the scoop. Think like a chihuahua! Hehehe. I leave out everythin for my guy. He has a big variety of toys to choose from. Like round stuffed animals big and small, balls big and small, stuffed toys with crazy legs he loves to drag around, small cute ones he loves to hide in places, bullys, trschea, fishstick,beefhide, porkhide....but absolutely no rawhide. If u wanna be on the safe side u can give the bully when u come back because there has been occurences where the tiny peice has gotten stuck in their throats as for rawhide its not digestable at all, it often get blocked and causes obstruction and blockage then a trip to the vet. I leave out nylabones and only trust them since thy arr in fact 100% digestable the edible chewy type ones or even the plasticy hard ones which is great for their teeth. As for pork ears u mite want to see how ur chi reacts to that one if the pup has a bad reaction twds it like some ull be comin home to the house filled with massive dirahhea

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Terri and Pidge :)

That's put my mind at rest now!

I need to order his new food and food storage bag from zooplus once he is living with me so will take a look at the pizzle and other goodies. I want to get him the little nylabone fish it looks so cute!

As for kongs what do you normally use to stuff them with?

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Mine seem to only play when I'm home as the few toys I do leave out (a couple stuffed toys, a ball) remain where they were left. Then when I come home everything gets flung about. lol. I have a feeling mine sit and sun when I'm at work. haha. I personally wouldn't leave things like bully sticks out for them.

What are nylabones made of that makes them digestible? I've always been skeptical of them.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Oh i fergot to mention th3 kongs lol. I always bought the syuffin in can from kong for puppies. Its basically liver paste or sumthin like that. I dont recommend peanutbutter as the pup will be lickin it for sometime so u dont want it to go bad. the paste whwn left for a while will harden so u can wash it out when u gt home.

As for nylabone u can find the ingredients online. Im usin my phone rite now to reply hehe. I trust that company obviously wif my dexters life. The one thing im a little unsure of if their dental ones as it reminds me of greenies which im highly against

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh you mean the green nutrident ones?

What's wrong with greenies Pidge?

I've never used them but saw them on zooplus as I was browsing and thought they looked okay, though I didn't read the ingredients or anything so I suppose they could be hiding something horrible?

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I'm totally against the greenies too. I've heard awful things about them, they shouldn't be on the market.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Oh you mean the green nutrident ones?

What's wrong with greenies Pidge?

I've never used them but saw them on zooplus as I was browsing and thought they looked okay, though I didn't read the ingredients or anything so I suppose they could be hiding something horrible?
I have heard that greenies have caused a lot of obstructions, I've read stories about pets dying from them too. After all the uproar they changed their formula to make it more digestible, but I heard there's still problems. I would never trust them.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
The greenies aren't digestible. My westie pooped out a 1" chunk of greenies after having diarrhea for 2 days. They are supposed to be digestible, but my dad and I did a test, putting it in an acid solution (similar to stomach acid) overnight and it softened it up but it was still hard.

As for what to leave, kongs are good, they make all sorts of interactive toys like that where you can stuff things in them. Because I feed raw, I put ground turkey/hamburger in them and put them in the freezer, that way they last longer. In the past I've put instant mashed potatoes in them, canned dog food, peanut butter, cheese etc in them. Also I wouldn't leave any bones unsupervised as there is the potential for choking.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I don't leave anything for my dogs that they can actually chew and swallow, whether it's bully sticks or Nylabones or the CET chews that they love. I want to BE there when they're chewing on those kinds of things, just in case.

I don't leave any toys for them unless it's stuff I've already seen them playing with, and know they can't hump it, tear it open, pull pieces off it or do anything to it that could end up with them swallowing a piece or getting their nails/paws/legs or heaven forbid their neck, caught in the fabric or pieces in some way.

Yes, I'm obsessive. But I'd rather be over cautious than to live with deep regret.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I don't leave anything for my dogs that they can actually chew and swallow, whether it's bully sticks or Nylabones or the CET chews that they love. I want to BE there when they're chewing on those kinds of things, just in case.

I don't leave any toys for them unless it's stuff I've already seen them playing with, and know they can't hump it, tear it open, pull pieces off it or do anything to it that could end up with them swallowing a piece or getting their nails/paws/legs or heaven forbid their neck, caught in the fabric or pieces in some way.

Yes, I'm obsessive. But I'd rather be over cautious than to live with deep regret.
I hear you. I'm the exact same way. Better safe than sorry, always.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will deffinatly not be buying greenies then! They sound terrible :(

I would never leave him alone with a bone or bully stick but I think the nylabones are okay as they are solid and they can only scrape little shavings off with their teeth they can't actually bite bits off etc

Vet UK sell kongs at a really good price. Can I buy him the small puppy kong stuff or does it need to be adult? He's 16mths but I like the puppy kongs better as they come in blue :)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Oh yeah i wouldnt leave the bully sticks or chews out.

You can get treats or the paste for the kongs.
That keeps them busy for a while.
I have the adult ones and a blue puppy one for Dillon, but he is happy to try to get the girls ones. lol

·
Registered
602 Posts
I try to rotate Fiddle toys so she doesnt just look at them all day lol

I also have a bob-a-lot. Its a bottom heavy thing that Fiddle pushes and it makes it rock back nd forth and dispenses treats

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I plan to walk Louie in the morning before work but not really sure what toys I can leave him other than the usual Kong toys. What do you all put inside your kongs?
I hated the paste stuff that's made to put in Kongs. It's junk (read the ingredients) and has no nutritional value whatever. Jazz wasn't ever interested in kongs, though Tango loves them. When he was needing to eat 3X a day, and I had to go to work, I'd put a kong in his crate, filled with his noontime kibble, with a little smear of natural peanut butter (no additives, just peanuts and oil) to hold the kibble in the kong (the pieces are very small) so he really had to work to get it all out. He LOVED it.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I think it depends on the dog. I could leave Reese unattended with any toy and he would be fine, but Miley is more of a chewer. If they tend to be more "destructive", I would only leave them with toys they cant tear up, like Nylabones and Kongs, or a good bully stick. We leave stuffed toys out with Reese, and Leo has some in his pen and they do fine. If you leave any destructible toy with our lab Ben, you can expect it to be in 500 pieces when you get back (if we leave things like laundry too close to his kennel, he somehow manages to pull them into his crate and rip them up to, not sure how he manages to get something like a towel through the bars, but he does!) Bully sticks are a great suggestion too, they always keep my guys busy!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts