Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a 'preferred' brand of Salmon Oil you use? I'm getting low on Salmon Oil and was wondering if there was one that works better than the rest? Or seems to have better ingredients etc than the rest?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Great question -- I've been trying to figure out which kind we want to buy as well. Currently there are only Omega 3's in the one we use, and I'd like to see more than just that, but am not even entirely sure what the best combo is for dogs. It's hard to find anything on it...so I'll be interested in answers as well.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I use the unscented Iceland Pure fish oils.
I like that they come in an aluminum container and they don't smell real fishy.
I use their salmon oil and their anchovy/sardine oil.
I think the are excellent quality oils. :)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Sardine/anchovy oil is higher in omegas than other fish oils. :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I personally opt for wild-caught oils over farmed ones, but don't go much more specific than that. Right now, I use NSI Norwegian Salmon Oil ordered from Vitacost.com because I think it's a nice product at a really reasonable price.

The big reason fish oil is important is that if you're feeding most farm-raised animals, unless they're fed a species appropriate diet (grass rather than corn) they will be low in Omega 3s and high in Omega 6s. So, Salmon Oil offers the Omega 3s that would otherwise be lacking. You don't really want to supplement Omega 6, because farmed meats already have an overabundance of it.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the past I have heard 'rave' reviews about Grizzly Salmon Oil & the Iceland Pure, so trying to decide which is best, doing research etc.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Hmmm the Icelandic Pure looks great. I like the Anchovy/Sardine...it has all 3 omega's. Does anyone know what ratios they actually need these in, though?

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I'm currently using Grizzly Salmon Oil.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've been using Grizzly salmon oil for awhile now with great results.

·
Registered
11 Posts
im thinking of giving my chihuahuas salmon oil i read loads of people give it to there chihuahuas where would i buy this from and is it specially for dogs also it might help with my boy chihuahua who has a broken leg please can i have any clues where to get this thanks

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
11 Posts
my dog with the broken leg wont eat any kid of dry food so the vets recommend me to give him hills a/d he loves it is this ok for him do u think its got enough vitaimains in etc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts