Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our cat passed today. She was diagnosed 2-3 months ago with aggressive mammary cancer as a direct result of not being spayed as a kitten. Her tumors grew rapidly and were the size of a golfball at the end. A week ago she had a small seizure where she stared blankly, was disoriented and lost coordination. She drooled some and came out of it in about 15 minutes. Our other cat (Lily) tried to hold her down with her mouth to attack her during the episode.

Samantha had been thin and lacked much appetite and then just yesterday seemed to be perking up. She socialized with the family today and my mom and I were getting ready to leave to go to the doctor when she came up from the basement and had another seizure. This one was worse and she didn't come out of it. It was so sad because she'd try to hide and when we kept her stationary (we were afraid she'd jump up and fall) she'd look straight at us and cry pathetically. Her eyes were dilated and she was so out of it... She didn't even blink if you put your hand near her face. Finally she drew her last breath as I was stroking her.

The vet says that what probably happened was the cancer in her bloodstream moved to her lungs. A clot probably migrated from her lung to her brain and caused the seizures. She was comatose before we got her to the vet and her heart stopped while we were checking in.

This just demonstrates the importance of spaying/neutering your pets. I hope no one else has to suffer this same ordeal. :( RIP Samantha. We love you.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
This just demonstrates the importance of spaying/neutering your pets. I hope no one else has to suffer this same ordeal. :( RIP Samantha. We love you.
So very sorry for your loss. Rest in peace Samantha.

This should also serve as a reminder to check your pets frequently for lumps or bumps as well as spay/neutering them if they are not used for breeding. :(

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss Kaila.
Hugs sweetie.

·
Registered
655 Posts
That must have been very traumatic for you.
You are very brave. Don't blame yourself
She knew you loved her so much. Love and hugs.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I can't believe I did not see this earlier : ( I am very sorry for your loss Bijoux and I are sending loving thoughts to you and your family

1 - 18 of 18 Posts