Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bandit had a bad case of diarrhea in Dec. Took him to vet...they ran tests and did a liver panel and prescribed SAMe for one month...In Jan I took him back and after a second liver panel prescribed two more months of the med...I called the vet today since he had finished the meds to see if he needed another liver panel and was informed that vet said Bandit should take SAMe for life...at $36 a bottle I don't know how I can do this on my Soc Sec income...should I get a second opinion or is there an alternative med less expensive...I'd give up my own grocery allowance to provide the meds if they are really necessary. Someone please help w/suggestions.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Sorry I have never heard of SAMe or a liver panel but I hope things turn out better for you and Bandit.

·
Registered
737 Posts
What is the liver panel saying that has your vet prescribing the SamE? I mean, what condition is he treating by using it? SamE is a fantastic liver supportive supplement, so is Milk Thistle. For example, I used a SamE/Milk Thistle combo neutraceutical called Denamarin for my boy who has liver shunt/MVD. So I'm just wondering what the liver panel is showing.

There are many products on the market containing SamE and Milk Thistle or just one or the other, and they are marketed toward dogs. There are also folks who use SamE supplements intended for humans but dosed appropriately for their dog. It can help to save cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rebel Yell...The vet actually never gave me a diagnosis for Bandit's liver condition...but the test shows ALT= 138 U/L (Hi) and AMYL= 255 U/l (Lo)...everything else is within normal ranges...I am locked into Banfield's "Wellness Plan" until Dec so I feel trapped. I am responsible for this little dog that has given me so much comfort and love so best scenario is to find a cheap source for the SAMe and keep him on it until his renewal comes up, then find a real insurance for him...what do you think/know...thanks

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
if you find another insurance for him, won't this be a 'preexisting' condition and they won't pay for it??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jan896...you know i don't know and i hope not...since Banfield is not insurance (my big mistake) perhaps not...i'll have to check...i found a source for the med online (Banfield charged me 36.30/bottle of 30 tabs) new source is 18.99...what a rip off i am so sorry i thought i was getting a good deal signing up with Banfield...thanks for your input

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well, elevated ALT can mean several things. It can be a fluke so to speak or a temporary thing if perhaps the dog is recovering from an illness and the liver has been insulted by said illness. Or it can be indicative of liver disease. But I would demand that your vet be more specific with what he is treating. He says that Bandit needs to be on SamE for life, ask him why? What is his concern,etc... Is he concerned that Bandit has liver disease, if so, what type? What about having a bile acids test done? I really would just go over everything with your vet. He may have a diagnosis and treatment plan in his mind but he needs to share it with you! :) Also here is a pretty good link to understanding/reading lab results-http://home.gci.net/~divs/disease/lab_tests.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rebel yell...thanks so much for your input...the website was very helpful...i will go and talk to vet on monday...what a great site this is...i was so upset over this problem but you guys have eased the pain...Bandit thanks you too.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I would agree that your vet should go over all the details with you as to whats wrong, not just say ok put him on this med for life. Maybe you should get a second opinion as well. Maybe like Rebel yell said, it might be a temp thing thats thrown off the results. I think I'd take him to another vet just to see what they come up with. Another thing to consider is telling the vet that this money for the meds is difficult for you to come up with and ask if there is something else that he can give you or to find a cheaper source for the meds for you. If the vet is a good one, surely he'll be able to help in some way. Good luck hun and let us know what happens

1 - 9 of 9 Posts