Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night I took Sasha to the emergency vet because after playing in the yard she came in and was limping badly on both back legs. They of course wanted to keep her for observation and later called me this morning saying that she has very bad patellas in both rear legs. I thought patella issue worked up to being this bad, this seems like it happened over night. They want to do a full knee replacement on both legs!! I looked at the xrays and they compared hers to that of a normal patella and hers are all jacked up. How did this happen so quickly??
I called the breeder i got her from and asked if this was hereditary whith her parents? She said it could possibly have come from her moms side. Seeing as this may be a hereditary issue she asked that i bring her back and she will either refund my money or i can pick out another puppy. She had given me a health guarentee stating that is free of any genetic disorders and if any are found that the pup could be returned for a full refund or replaced. I dont want to take her back, but after paying $900 for a puppy i shouldnt have to put another $2,000 because of a geneti disorder. However, she is almost insisting that i bring her back because she doesn't want this kind of issue being passed down thru her line. I am a bit upset because she told me repeatedly that she has no genetic problems.
To make things worse i get another call back from the vet saying that she has deteriorating discs in her spine. I was going to just deal with the patellas and get them fixed but this kind of pisses me off because i'm begining to think she new these problems where present. Thats why she is being so quick to take her back. I will be returning her but i do not think i will be getting another dog from her.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Wow, what a mess. That sucks. Sorry to hear this is all happening to you and the poor puppy. :( Good thing you bought her from a good breeder though who is willing to refund you. At least she's responsible enough to do that.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am very upset that this is happening. We have only had her a couple weeks but it feels like much longer. She says she will spay her and keep her. But i dont know how much of that i believe. She currently has one three legs and she also fosters for the vet clinic she works for so its possible she may really keep her.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I hope she really does keep her. It sounds like she may. You're the best candidate to judge her character here though because you've met her. I hope the best for you and the puppy. I'm sorry again that you're having to go through this.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Patellas that bad are genetic. You'd have to run a dog over to make them that bad without genetics. And she probably just agitated them playing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
How sad for you and the puppy. It doesn't take long for them to wriggle their way into your heart, does it? I am glad she will take the puppy back.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx everyone.

I have a good idea why she is wanting me to bring her back so quickly. I am def going to look i.to this more. I'm not just going to let it go.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Do you think she will have the surgeries done to help the dog?
It would be a pity if she spays her and lets her live like that...

·
Registered
801 Posts
I think you are wise to not get another puppy from this breeder. I know
things happen and yes it does appear that she's being responsible, but it
also seems a little shady. Like maybe she wasn't being fully truthful in her
disclosure.

Either way, I too am sorry this happened for you and mostly for Sasha.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
With the dual issues this girl has, it would seem far kinder to put her down rather that do surgery on her legs only to have her spine degenerate.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
With the spinal degeneration, she would be a good candidate for a doggie wheelchair. I dont think euthanasia is the only solution. Fix the knees and, as it gets harder to walk, put her in a wheelchair.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Well I personally wouldn't want to live like that, not for a day, a week, a month, a year, let alone a lifetime because someone deemed it was ok that I do.

I'm looking at my EXIT Coffee cup that I'm drinking from right now, it says, "I'd Rather Die Like a Dog". Being a very strong supporter of voluntary Euthanasia for humans, I look at quality of life before quantity, always. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
How sad,you must do what you feel is right,i know how hard it would be to give her back.
Where there's life there's hope

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
:( so sad! i dont like the sound of this breeder! shes very quick to get the puppy back....... i think if you havent already returned , hold off on it for a bit , maybe get another vets opinion? and find out some more about this breeder, so sorry this has happened to you! :( x

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
This is so heartbreaking, I can't imagine how you must feel right now :( I honestly don't know what I would do in this situation, maybe ask to have the $900 back but keep the dog and put it toward the surgery? The breeder might agree since it would save her the cost of feeding her?

Please at least get a second opinion - remember how Kelsey took Bijox back after having her on anti inflammatories for a few weeks and it turned out she didn't need LP surgery after all? I know it's a long shot but she deserves a chance if there is one.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Oh no that is horrible. I'm sorry this happened to you. I could not imagine having to give a baby back you have fell in love with :(

1 - 20 of 56 Posts