Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend sent me a frantic facebook msg this morning saying that her cat had killed all her kittens ( 4 days old) except one that my friend had saved while she was laying on him trying to suffocate him ( i think its a him) So now i have him. I have been feeding him and doing all the stuff your supposed to do but dont know if hes gonna make it hes has a lot of mucus in his nose i keep suckin it out but it keeps coming back.. I hope he makes it

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Oh my goodness look at that wee thing!
I have no advice for you as I have never been a kitten mom!

I hope someone can tell you what to do!
Do you have a small bulb syringe the kind you use on newborns?
Maybe you can suction out some of the mucus for him that way.

I think the other major thing would be to keep him warm warm warm!
I hope someone here knows.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
as kitty d said warmth is a big factor especially being a singleton .

what are you feeding him ?
feed him every 4 hours and toilet him after , now this may sound silly but with the mucus hold him in your hands with his head facing away from you , make sure you hold him tight enough that you dont drop him and swing him between your legs a few times than check and clean any mucus and repeat , hopefully this works.
i really hope he pulls through for you , sometimes animals will kill their offspring if something is wrong but i myself have rescued kittens from the same background as your little guy and they have grown into happy healthy little cats .

do you know anyone with a litter of kittens around the same age you can put him on ?
cats are pretty good and will not normally have a problem taking on an orphan kitten .

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
forgot to ask if you are using a bottle or a syringe to feed him ? if a syringe be very careful not to get it in his lungs , i always use a bottle ,the teats the bottles come with arn't very good they are to hard , if you go to your vet they should have kitten teats , chose the softest ones , i put a hole in the tip with a needle that i have held over heat , make the hole big enough so that when its tipped up it drips out with no hassle :) .

if you haven't had him to the vet yet i would check inside his mouth and make sure he doesn't have a cleft pallet .

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was using a syringe .. then i went and got him a bottle for newborn kittens and somemore kitten replacement formula... he didnt make it... he died this morning at 435am in my hands...

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I'm so sorry he didn't make it. :(

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
So sorry he didn't make it.I know how you feel.An outside cat that had came up was pregnant and she had three little kittens they were sooo small.Well...she didn't have any mild and she was sick.So we took the kittens and tried to rivive them because when I found them only one was breathing good.Well...the others died.So we had little lucky we got him so milk and all and kept him alive for a while he was a sweet little guy only about 24hours old.Well...we went to church that night we had him with us in the car it wasn't to hot or to cold but I believe he needed to be rub or something I don't beleive his blood was runnin through good.He was still alive when we came out but died a few mins later in my hands.He was pitiful.We also lost the momma cat she ran off and never came back.We believe she might have went off to die.She was a little girl prob. didn't even need to be pregnant she was a little long coat black kitty with half a tail.She was a sweety.But she ran away.And we never found her.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I'm so sorry he didn't make it... but, thanks to you, he knew love and human kindness
in his short little life here on Earth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts