Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He was an 8 year old ShihTzu and he was deaf and blind.

I was talking for quite a while to his owner. She was a nice lady. I felt so bad for this dog, I have a bad back but I bent over to pet him as much as I could. He was a sweety and his had was long but healthy. Poor guy walked a few times into the fence that separated the small dogs from the big ones. I guess he smelled them. Poor guy has had trouble sleeping the last few days too. The park was not too full, I tired to get my Chi to play with him or stand next to him, but dogs don't understand when another dog is blind or deaf.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Poor thing. There is a deaf dog in the puppy class I go to. He is actually the most obedient dog, although there is lots of movement around, he seems to have amazing focus! It must be really hard for him being blind also. :(

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
A vibrating collar can help some of these dogs. If he is in danger (like going to close to a fence/other danger, you hit the button and the dog feels a vibration to warn him to stop. This is NOT a shock collar. They need training with this, obviously. Lots of info on the web about blind and deaf dogs.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I have to wonder if they sense that another dog is blind or deaf or has special needs? I see all sorts of stories where another dog will be a dogs eyes for them when they are blind. Maybe that is just when they grow up with them or are around them all the time though?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts