Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
I have to say I like the merles too, and not ALL merle breeders are bad breeders, I know of some who are very carefull about their breeding, and all are tested etc.

The people I cant stand are those advertising non registered pups stating theyre rare blues, or chocolates, and asking silly money.

Even seen one advert saying "rare all black chihuahua" and asking over a grand for non-registered.

I would now never buy a chihuahua from someone I dont know, as they will tell you all kinds of bull if you dont know them. and I feel if you take time to REALLY get to know the breeder, and find the good breeders, it is worth years and years of waiting to know your going to get a good chi, and not just be told what the breeder THINKS you want to hear.
I dont care if it takes me ten years to find my show chihuahua, I am prepared to wait and only get from a breeder I have got to know over time.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
some merle are too over marked if that makes sense lol

merlie and tequila are nicely marked

not sure who said it but yea not all breeders of merles are bad like i said in a post that if you get a well bred one i don't see anything wrong with them

·
Registered
454 Posts
Can someone tell me what the different color shades of merles are? The only one I know is blue.
Any color of chi can be merle. Merle is a modifier. It randomly dilutes the color the chi would have been without the modifier. I think the most common ones that you see or hear about are red, blue, and chocolate. This is mostly because you can see the merling better. People who breed for the merle coloring (I don't mean everyone who breeds merle dogs, there is a difference between breeding a dog that is merle and breeding a dog that is merle for the sole purpose of creating more merle dogs) want the merling to show so they tend to breed to dogs with dark pigmented fur because then the merling is more dramatic of an effect. The possibilities are only limited by the colors that a chi comes in, which as we know there really aren't any limitations.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
It was first assumed that the gene could not be carried recessivly but I've read recently that this is not the case and hence from the end of march puppies born of merle parents can not be registered in the UK Kennel Club even if there are pups in the litter that do not have the merle colour.

It took them a while to get the KC to realise it could be carried and not present which is why the new rule only applied to puppies born after March.
Wow, really? So basically if the pups parents are merle then the pups can't be registered (even if they're not merle in colour)? I suppose this makes absolute sense though because of X breeding 2 merles.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
i love the merles and would love to have one
but unfortunatly they cannot be registered here in the uk also yeah breeders want over the top prices for an unregistered pup saying its rare also seen one that says it comes with akc papers still dont think thats any use in the uk

if i seen one for a reasonable price i would maybe go for it but i doubt that will happen here in the uk
I suppose it's a bit like breeders who sell "teacups, tiny teacups, tiny toys" and all that nonsense and say they're rare/hard to come by :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was thinking of getting a blue merle chihuahua however I got told that it was a really bad gene also I wanted KC however you will NEVER find a KC blue merle as apperntly the gene is wrong =/

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I see Merle's in the ring here in the US so they have to be AKC registered to be in the ring. I think it is becoming accepted although there are lots of show people that are against it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
He is a cutie! His markings are quite discreet, never seen one with such discreet markings. Most merles are marked loudly. My Jazmyn, being a Fawn Merle, her merling is still very visible, but you can see it better depending on the lighting. Most Fawn Merles lose the merling as they grow up, they become phantom merles.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Cute little dogs, guys. :)

Love the coloring.. but I'd never buy one from a breeder. Maybe if I found one in a shelter and we clicked... but that's it. Too many health issues with that coloring, even 'healthy' merles can have small eyes, vision and hearing issues... I'm glad the British banned it from registering, last I heard Canada was thinking of doing the same thing (with a few breeds) and I can hope the US follows suite. (Interestingly enough, I read about this on a AmStaff site; they had a recent merle wave too. The crossing probably occurred around the same time.)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts