Chihuahua People Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'll never turn down a request! ;)

Edit:

PS I'm dying to know what color merle he is. I don't *think* he's 'blue'. The lighter color is actually a very light tan. Like his legs only a lighter color. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
370 Posts
my merles

:hello1:i have 2 merles.a true blue merle male named seven n a 4wk old i havent brought home yet.shes in my avatar n my signature.she started out as a lite blue merle but over the last 4wks shes started 2 turn red.the breeders named her misty but im gonna change that.funny story:i,usually, use the same breeder-trish.ive bought 3 chis from her.i started looking around 4 a red merle n found one w/gail(her mom just had a litter n 4 were merles-3 blue n 1 red)i went 2 put a deposit on red merle n some1 had already put down a deposit.a few days ago i went 2 trishs 2 visit n she told me she was getting a new pup.she came back w/pics n it was the red merle LOL.i wrote gail to tell her n laugh.she ended up sending pics of a blue merle that has started to turn red-my no name misty.:blob5::blob4:still dont have name.any ideas?:cya:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Everyone,

We hope that we can give some sort of insight...

Historically,...

All dogs carry the merle gene, some breeds have an active gene and others have dormant genes. Chihuahua's carry a dormant merle gene.

if there is a dormant gene it can not just switch itself on it has to be activated by a an active merle gene.

The only way to activate the merel gene is to introduce a breed / dog that has an active merel gene. So if chi's only have dormant genes then it had to be a breed that has an active merle gene, for example dachshund.

And so the merle gene was activated.... those puppies that were merleMm were then bred to a non-merle M+ (pure chi) and then those were again bred to another pure chi and so on. Over the last 30 - 40 years selective breeding with merle and non-merle dogs have created the pure merle chi. But in essence they are ultimately still cross breeds albeit very far back.

As already been mentioned previously, merle dogs of all breeds have associated health problems for example, deafness and blindness.

We hope this sheds a little light on the subject, ofcourse we are happy to answer any questions you may have.....
Can you cite a source on this? I have never in my life heard of a "dormant gene", only dominant and recessive.

It's an alright colour, but my issue with it is that somehow the colour was introduced to the breed and therefore, merle Chihuahuas are not 100% pure Chihuahua.

And for the record, I haven't got anything against mixed breeds, but if I'm wanting a pure Chi, then I don't want to be sold a mix.. and vice versa.

·
Registered
370 Posts
dominant gene

:hello1:mayb it was mis-spelled-merle is a dominant gene.im taking a course in the genetics of chi breeding.also,merle isnt a color-its a pattern.theres something in the gene that lightens patches of color.its that gene that can cause problems-hearing,site,size.but,that happens more frequently w/piiebalds,also.as long as 1 of the parents is definitely a merle or phantom merle n the other definitely isnt things should b okay.but,nothings 100%.:daisy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I'm new to this board and own a year old merle chihuahua called Mimi and can assure you that she is beautiful and healthy :)
There is an awful lot of controversy about the merle in the chihuahua.
There is proof on the internet that the merle did exist way back and I believe that the kc here in the UK do not allow merles to be registered in UK because of the gene being semi lethal (poor breeding), breeding merle to merle and creating double merle which could be deaf or blind.
My believe is that merle are no more dangerous to breed then other Chihuahuas in that only responsible experienced breeders should be breeding.
Not allowing merle to be kc registered may make people register them as say tri coloured thus making it harder for people to know they may well be breeding merle to merle.
my merle is dog lover registered with pedigree and it states she is a merle, anybody that buys puppies from me will be told of the facts of merle breeding.
anyway check out my lovely girl here :) .
Pictures by sweettalkin - Photobucket

41 - 54 of 54 Posts