Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wasnt sure if I should post this or not. Im not sure it is related to what I fed her or not...but I just wanted some insight.

Ok...here goes....Oh and BIG thank you to Kristi who took my paniced call this morning as I was in tears:daisy:

Lacey woke me up at 2am vomiting. I wasnt concerned since all my pups do that occasionally. After about the 3rd time during the night....I decided to offer her a few pieces of dry ZP. She gobbled it right up.

Got up at 6:15 and fed the dogs around 7. They all got canned venison ZP. About 30 minutes later....Lacey vomited again...what appeared to be all her breakfast plus undigested dry ZP. I figured it was time to take her in since she is so tiny.

Got to the vet and waited. While I sat....she vomited on me 2 more times back to back. Which is WAY more than she took in. Vet decided to do an xray and noticed lots of tiny calcifications through out her abdomen. He said it looked like bone. The last bone-in meal she had was Tuesday night. So I dont understand how that could be :confused: She then vomited again and the vet picked out what appeared to be a tiny piece of bone. But to me this bone looked like a tooth. It was white! Uncooked chicken doesnt look like that :confused: So needless to say....I got a nice reaming from the vet and then he offered me the number to a nutritionist at Purina:foxes15: Which I refused.

So anyway....she got a shot of antibiotic and a shot for the nauseau. Im going to feed her at 2....Kristi's formula of baby food, pedialyte, pumpkin and a couple of other things. I pray she keeps it down. Vet is treating her like she has a bacterial infection....ie salmonella.

Its been a couple of hours and she seems OK...but Im still shaking :(

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Let us know how she is hun -- well, you already know what I think so I won't repost but fingers crossed for a quick recovery for the little darling.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I am so sorry little Lacey has been so very ill and will be praying for her recovery.. please keep us updated. Deb

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That is scary. I hope she is feeling better soon. It's always frightening when they are ill and especially at her size! You did the right thing by taking her in.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...I fed her the mixtures of babyfood/pedialyte/cottage cheese/pumpkin/rice and she gobbled it up. Went outside and she pottied. Now she is bouncing around like its no ones business. Trying to get in my lap as I eat my lunch.

Hopefully everything stays in her as Im off to work. Hubby will be home in 2 hrs....keeping fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Glad she was doing better Kristy. Hopefully tonight she is still her normal self! Sounds like maybe she had ingested something out of the ordinary (like what Kristi said LOL) and it just upset her tummy. Hopefully she has no more vomitting episodes!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hubby fed her again tonight and she did fine. She is resting comfortably on his chest:D

I found a holistic vet. I am going to call tomorrow and hopefully get her in to be seen. He is a supporter of the Raw diet and what I need now is encouragement that what I am doing for her is OK. My current vet made me feel like crap and I left in tears.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Oh poor little thing I am so glad she is doing better.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update....I'll try to keep this short

LOVE LOVE LOVE the new vet. Its a husband/wife team. Husband does all the medical needs...wife is the nutritionist/accupuncturist. They are amazing. I spent 2 hrs there talking to them about everything. I feel like we are friends now...LOL I think they were just as excited to talk to me as I was to them. Im doing everything correct as far as nutrition and supplements...its everything they recommend :hello1:

As far as what happened yesterday...they are not suprised. They said they get alot of "clean up" from them. The meds they gave me to give Lacey are to treat coccidia. They didnt even test her for that. She does not have Coccidia. The new vet said what he thinks happened is Lacey was hungry (my first suspicion) which caused the vomiting. I just didnt respond fast enough and when she vomited again...the bile acids irritated her stomach causing her to vomit more. She needed time for her tummy to settle...which it did and she is back to her normal self last night :hello1::hello1: And the calcifcations in her abdomen are normal for a raw fed dog....phew!! I didnt do anything wrong....just the opposite!!

Im so happy with this new vet. They said I can call them anytime if I ever have any questions. All the office staff is trained in nutrition (they all feed Raw) :hello1:

Got some tips on where to get meat...LOL

Oh...and were are waiting until Lacey is 1 for her rabies. They said that my dogs care is in my control and I make all the decisions!

So I just wanted to let everyone know that there was a happy ending:D

Thank you all for your well wishes:daisy:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Your vet team sounds WONDERFUL!!! Aren't they just their weight in gold when you find a good one? That's awesome. We often forget that vets work FOR US and anytime we feel put down or made to feel like a bad owner, then it's time to find someone whose beliefs are more in line with our own. Sounds like you found a great clinic and I"m so happy!!!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'm glad to hear that she's on the mend and you have a good vet.

Good for you for choosing a new ve, his close-mindedness cost him a client. -Bet you happy now he was such a jerk-

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone!!!! No one should fear taking their dog to the vet because their beliefs differ from theirs. Yes...the old vet was a total jerk! He used fear against me and it was wrong! Not only that...he didnt even treat Lacey properly. Just focused on the nutrition as the source :foxes15:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts