Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot about hypoglycemia in young Chihuahua puppies and am pretty much scared to death that my puppy is going to get it.

He's only 6 weeks old & I brought him home today.
Is maple syrup safe for him to eat? I was going to leave a little in a bowl in his area just incase he needs it. We don't have anything like honey or Karo syrup (I'm picking some up tomorrow).

Thanks so much!! I'm worried to death! :?

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can get Nutrical from a lot of pet stores, and if all else fails from your vet. It comes in a tube and you can just squirt out a small blob (1/4") and give your pup morning and nite for a while. Reba became hypoglycemic a couple of times when she was fighting parvo, which she contracted about 8 weeks old at 1 lb. 1 oz. The Nutrical has some other nutritional support in it as well. You can use honey in a pinch. Anyway, I kept Reba on her Nutrical till she was about 11-12 weeks old (I think I went down to just mornings at around 10 weeks). We keep some for "just in case". When she was spayed this week and had fasted for almost a day before and after the procedure, I gave her Nutrical for a couple of days after. Good luck - 6 weeks is quite a little one as far as chis go. :wink:

·
Registered
210 Posts
chihuahua lover said:
I've read a lot about hypoglycemia in young Chihuahua puppies and am pretty much scared to death that my puppy is going to get it.

Is maple syrup safe for him to eat? I was going to leave a little in a bowl in his area just incase he needs it. We don't have anything like honey or Karo syrup (I'm picking some up tomorrow).

Oh well welcome and I hope to see some pics soon darlin'! It's hard sometimes because there are so many things to worry about! All you can do is love and care for your dog properly and make the best of every moment with it^.^Goes ask a vet for any med he can offer, and good luck!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think instead of maple syrup, you are supposed to use the white corn syrup. Here it is Karo (they make both the white corn as well as maple syrup). I'd call my Vet and ask about how much you should give. It will depend on the weight of your Chi.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Just wondering, if you read up etc first and knew about hypo's in young and small pups - why did you choose to get a pup so young obviously if there is special circumstances thats fine :D - but Im just wondering as pups should be with mom really until 10-12 weeks for reasons like this , bite inhibition, extra socilisation and due to chi pups such small size, bigger dog pups shouldnt go till 8 weeks.

anyway Welcome aboard - you have come to the right place - there is article in the article section on hypo's and how and what to treat with :wave:

·
Registered
273 Posts
From what everyone said, 6 weeks is pretty young. But anyway, I had to deal with Dixie becoming hypoglycemic twice. Have you read the article on hypoglycemia? It really helps a lot. Just make sure he is eating well and drinking, no diarrhea or throwing up, make sure he isn't lethargic, and check his gums to see if they're white cuz thats another bad sign.

What kind of food is he eating by the way? Just curious.

Anyway welcome! :wave: Hope to see pics very soon!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Punky was on Nutri-cal and Puppy-Vites her first year. She was 1.9 lbs when I brought her home and 10 weeks old.
I just pulled out my trusty book"Chihuahuas For Dummies" I bought the book before Punky and it has been a great help. Anyway it says,"Symptoms of low blood sugar are a staggering gait, glassy eyes, and sometimes either limpness or rigidity. Treatment involves putting some sugar in your dogs mouth,calling your Vet and heading for the clinic.
ATTACKS CAN BE PREVENTED BY CHANGING HIS FEEDING SCHEDULE TO SMALL AMOUNTS SEVERAL TIMES A DAY AND AVOIDING SUGERY TREATS (CHECK THE INGREDIENTS BEFORE BUYING DOG TREATS)"
It also says most puppies grow out of it before they leave the breeder, I think that's one of the reasons they keep the babies until they're a bit older, to get their weight up.

By the way my breeder suggested Cheerios as a training aid and treats for Punky since they were little and she wouldn't choke on them and also low sugar content. She was so little I still had to cut them in half :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
chihuahua lover said:

Just went to look up the Chihuahua pet food on the internet and found this link http://community-1.webtv.net/je2u/doc1/page2.html
It may help you in these first days.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ozzy&Lily'sMom said:
Just wondering, if you read up etc first and knew about hypo's in young and small pups - why did you choose to get a pup so young obviously if there is special circumstances thats fine :D - but Im just wondering as pups should be with mom really until 10-12 weeks for reasons like this , bite inhibition, extra socilisation and due to chi pups such small size, bigger dog pups shouldnt go till 8 weeks.

anyway Welcome aboard - you have come to the right place - there is article in the article section on hypo's and how and what to treat with :wave:
I got my baby at 12 weeks cuz I read up^^I wanted a big healthy baby boy! He hasn't had any problems yet but I hope your thing works out hun!

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
vienna had a very bad hypo-attack too , if i had woken up a few minutes later she wasn't here anymore .

be sure to feed every few hours....honey is really good !!

kisses nat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.