Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a lot of you know my hound Sadie will be 16 new year's eve. She is a lot older than most hounds make it. I think the oldest hound recorded is 16.5 years old. Well our weather was nasty yesterday. Very cold in the 20's and raining. Sadie and Gibbs have their own house heated and ac. They do not like to be inside (they will not settle down Sadie will just pace and pant) and love the freedom. In their house I have 5 beds and lots of blankets, it is also spray foam insulated so I keep it around 70 degress winter and summer. The heat in there house is the Red Night Light Reptile Heat lights. They will not burn their skin and it is softer light then a white light. Also it helps them see their house in the dark. Around 10pm last night we noticed Sadie walking around the yard in circles. Sadie does love to play in rain, snow etc. but it was very strange. My husband tried to tell her to go in her house but she kept walking incircles. He called me and I went out and opened her door, tried to get her to follow me, tried calling her etc but could not get her inside. Our first thought was Gibbs blocking the door but he was asleep on his bed.

Gibbs tried to get her in too after I woke him up but no she would come close to the house (touching the ramp then turn). I finally got her in by leading her and blocking her path when she tried to turn. She felt very wet and cold but was not shivering. As soon as I got her in she went and laid on her bed and went to sleep. I was scared to mess with her too much as she will get cranky and run from me. I woke up multiple times in the night and looked out and she stayed in her house. Before I left for work this morning she was still in her house so I did not go out there as I did not want her to come out.

I am not sure with her age if it is mental, was she sleep walking, is it her sight etc. I am not sure if it was the rain they threw her off but I am so scared right now.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aw! I hope she's ok.
Me too! I was going over different options with my mom this morning and we are going to keep a close eye on her but it was so scary. I just do not know what to do. I thought about putting a coat on her but Sadie hates clothes and removes them instantly. If I pull her inside she will go in panic mode and pace and pant as she hates indoors. My options are so limited.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
You don't think she may have had a mild stroke ? Simba used to do this after his one he went a bit senile as well,then when his eyesight went he got very confused even though we never moved any furniture.Is her head tilted at all

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't think she may have had a mild stroke ? Simba used to do this after his one he went a bit senile as well,then when his eyesight went he got very confused even though we never moved any furniture.Is her head tilted at all
No head tilt at all. She was normal except in a daze walking in circles around the yard.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Maybe eyesight ,Simbas went very quickly and you could see the eyes were getting a blue tinge to them,and clouding over Oh bless her,it's horrible when you see them getting older

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe eyesight ,Simbas went very quickly and you could see the eyes were getting a blue tinge to them,and clouding over Oh bless her,it's horrible when you see them getting older
Her eyes still look clear but I have noticed certain shadows still get her. It was just very weird.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I don't mean to scare you, but could it be a seizure? They aren't all big and violent. The dog I had growing up would act strange when we would take her outside when she was older. She would almost seem like she forgot why she was out there. She ended up having a bad seizure and didn't make it. The vet thought that she probably had a brain tumor because that's usually the cause of seizures if the onset is in older age. I hope she's ok. It's so hard to know what it could be. The biggest thing is to just keep her happy and enjoy being with her for as long as you have her.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
I am so sorry to read this post. I was thinking possibly a stroke as well. Our senior cat we had to put to sleep a month or so ago did have a stroke. She recovered and lasted about three months longer but she was definitely affected in her walking pattern. She was very unsteady for about a week or so. It is so hard to see them get to the advanced senior age.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My mom and I discussed this morning if we see anything continue I am going to take her to see the DR and if it is time let her go. I am hoping this afternoon I get crazy Sadie but I am scared too. We are all going to keep an eye on her. Y'all are right though it could be a seizure.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
If it was a mild seizure,let me tell you Simba had a few over the years ,the last one was a very bad one at 16 and we all thought it was the end,he walked with his head crooked on one side for weeks,he was put on meds,and didn't have another one.So think possitive

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it was a mild seizure,let me tell you Simba had a few over the years ,the last one was a very bad one at 16 and we all thought it was the end,he walked with his head crooked on one side for weeks,he was put on meds,and didn't have another one.So think possitive
Thank you!

My mom and I were discussing do we pull Sadie inside and stress her out to keep her warm (she pants and paces and will not settle down) or leave her in her house that she loves but keep an eye out to make sure she doesn't get in the cold?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
If she doesn't get stressed in her house I would leave her there,if it is a stroke she doesn't need stress.Keep her calm.Have you got a snuggle safe or hot water bottle you could put under her bedding

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If she doesn't get stressed in her house I would leave her there,if it is a stroke she doesn't need stress.Keep her calm.Have you got a snuggle safe or hot water bottle you could put under her bedding
Can you put a heating pad and/or blanket in their for her? That would definitely help.
The house stays 70 Degrees (21.1 celcius I think) year round as I have it heated. 5 beds and 5-6 comforters. I am just scared if she does what she did last night and I do not see her. I do not want to lock them in at night as what if something happens and they could not get out. Also she needs lots of potty time being 16 and has NEVER gone in her house.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
This sounds like senile dementia. It has a different name for dogs. Cognitive something. I think you will see more of this as she gets older. The dog just doesn't know where she is, or what she needs to do. They get lost. Circling is a comforting thing to do, evidently. My heart goes out to you and Sadie.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts