Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zola is fine walking, well i say that but what i mean is he is fine walking most of the time. Sometimes he just gets lazy and likes to be carried. Only thing is if a car goes by he will freeze and just sit there looking scared until I pick him up. Anyone else have this problems. I try to carry him around places with lots of cars so he can get use to it that way but any other tips?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I think if u carry him around everywhere there is lots of cars he will get used to being carried and will be totally scared unless he is in ur arms.....

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Are you reacting to his reaction when he sees a car? The best thing to do is ignore it all and keep walking and looking straight ahead.

You could also sit down in your yard or a place where cars will be going by and try to distract him before they drive by. I'm a big believer in massaging - I would probably have him lay in the grass and start massaging before the car gets close so he's calm, then continue to talk softly and massage as it passes. After a few times, his mind might automatically go into a calm mode when he hears or sees cars coming.

I definitely would ignore any "frightened" behavior though; paying attention to unwanted behavior only reinforces it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No cars go by my place. I like in a small area and he's only ever out the back. Theres no gate in the front garden yet. When he freezes I tell him I;m not gonna pick him up and continue to walk but he [email protected] move. I stand there for 5 mins and say come on, then I try to ignore him but still he will not move. I try to pull him along but you cant pull a dog of his size that hard or id hurt him, even tho I do use a harness

1 - 4 of 4 Posts