Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter who moved into her first house just got a Chi puppy. She's a sweet and loving little angle about 10 weeks. Like me she adopted from the Humane Society where in Phoenix there must have been at least 30 Chi's up
for adoption if not more. But on to the problem. Whenever we try to put a collar on sweetie (that's her name) she just shakes all day. She acts like we are punishing her and won't run or hardly move. We have tried all sorts of collars all fitting properly. So we don't tramatize her we take it off after about an hour. Any suggestions. I've never seen a dog get soooo upset with a collar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK we will take her today and look for a harness. She is the sweetest little loving puppy. She's active and loves everyone but when we put the collar on her she literally just shakes and cries.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
If you just want her to wear a collar for cosmetic purposes, you're going to have to get her used to it a bit at a time. She may react similarly to a harness, some dogs just freak out about anything being on them. Jazz didn't have much of an issue with a collar, but it took her forever to get used to the harness, she kept flopping on her side and trying to wriggle out of it. Or she'd rub her side against the door jamb, I guess hoping to dislodge it.

I just used treats and praise. I'd put the thing on, then treat and praise like crazy every time she stopped, even for a couple seconds, trying to get it off. I never left it on her long initially, just a few minutes at a time. It didn't take very long at all to get her used to it. Seemed like after a few days she just kind shrugged and figured oh well, it's not gonna go away. :D

Do the same thing I did. Treat and praise. Short duration. Consistency. She'll come round.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After 11 months my poppy still constantly scratches her neck once her collar is on and sometimes runs 3 legged as she is even scratching at it when were out?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I always use harnesses for walks too because its better for the chis with their little necks
But I do put collars/ necklaces on them occasionally for cosmetic reasons (not for walks) like when we are going to a party or smth
they used to scratch it, but after a few hours they got used to it

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Well, I'm of the opposite school, I put it on and they have to get used to it. All my dog wear their collars 24/7 so I plop it on as soon as I buy one and it only comes off for baths. Isis scratched at her collar for a few weeks, but now she is fine with it. Your puppy has learned that if she acts distressed, it will come off. I bet she would get used to it faster if you put it on and ignored her for the day. She will eventually get bored with shaking and being scared and her natural puppiness will want to run and play and eat and sleep. IMHO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts