Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Louie seems to be scared of riding out in the car.
He happily jumps into my car and onto the seat but once in will start shaking and panting untill he gets out again :(

In my car he normally sits on a blanket or in a dog bed and has a seatbelt clipped onto his collar/harness.

He is the same if sat on someones lap, it doesnt make a difference. We went out last night in my boyfriends van and he hated it. Wanting to jump out as soon as we stopped and splaying his legs out when I tried to move him off my lap to do up my seatbelt.

He seemed a bit more reluctant to get in my car this morning for a quick trip to take my brother to college and I actually had to lift him in which he hates.

What can I do to get him more used to it or make it more comfortable/enjoyable for him? I hate seeing my baby so upset :(

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I used to take Lily into the car,just sit there with her, offering a treat with the radio on NO ENGINE NOISE,a few times make it fun,then try just with the engine runnning and treats or toy,then the big day start the engine and a little trip not too far.Hope this works !

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Dogs have a way of associating car rides with bad experiences--mostly going to the vet to get shots. If you are planning to take him for a ride in the car, the best thing to do is ask him in an excited voice, "Do you wanna go for a car ride?" "Louie likes car rides." Show him you're excited to go in the car and he'll start to realize that a car ride can be fun. Take him to the park and make sure to ask him, "Do you want to go to the park?"
I really like Michele's idea about playing with him in the car!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts