Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Callisto out to a pond today to see if she would like going for a swim. She came into the water but only seems to swim out of sheer panic! She paddles like a madman to get to me and then tries to climb up on my shoulders in order to get out of the water. My boyfriend and I are both scratched to pieces from her scrambling on top of us. Has any one elses chis acted like this? what can I do to help her? I must admit I'm feeling like a bad mommy, my little girl is scared of everything, kids, other dogs, swimming, cars.... where did I go wrong?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
My neighbors chi is like that....very shy, afraid of alot of things, and she did a good job trying to socialize her, better than I did with Gizzie.

I think it's just personality, like I can't take Gizmo to class like I can with my poodle, he can't sit still...Gizmo has ADHD I'm afraid...LOL...and then once he gets to know someone, or they say HI GIZZZZZZZ, he wants to lick them and fly away with his tail... :D

Was she surrounded by noises when she was a baby....maybe something traumatized her without you realizing it?

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I'm sure you're not a bad mommy at all. Some dogs, like some people, are just born shy. I am fully convinced of that. I wouldn't keep making her swim because it's unlikely to do anything but make her more scared.

How is she with water in general? Is she scared of baths too?

Poor Callisto. Think how awful it must be to be scared of everything, all the time. :(

·
Registered
119 Posts
My Vida is afraid of water. I tried to get her to swim when she was young and she just wouldn't go in the water. Then I have put her in the water and she swims, but then climbs on me. This summer I tried to put her in the pool with me and she stll didn't like it.

She is also afraid of other people and is always very skiddish. I have always thought that it was just a chihuahua thing.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Callisto may be a dog that is only comfortable with you....Bella was like that when I first brought her home...she still needs to always know where I am when we are together somewhere. She was also reluctant to go swimming...I put her life jacket on and with just the two of us .....so it was very quiet, put her in the water...she wanted out right away...I did this for 2 or 3 days and finally she went in the water without the jacket and without panicking. I wouldn't force her do anything...with Bella I have found that each new experience goes off better if she is convinced that it is just her and I against the world LOL

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Callisto may be a dog that is only comfortable with you....Bella was like that when I first brought her home...she still needs to always know where I am when we are together somewhere. She was also reluctant to go swimming...I put her life jacket on and with just the two of us .....so it was very quiet, put her in the water...she wanted out right away...I did this for 2 or 3 days and finally she went in the water without the jacket and without panicking. I wouldn't force her do anything...with Bella I have found that each new experience goes off better if she is convinced that it is just her and I against the world LOL

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
If you want her to swim with you, you may try introducing her to the water slowly, maybe starting with a sink filled with water up to her ankle area and just play with her while she's in it. Then fill it up a bit more each time until it hits her belly. If you have a yard, you could get a kid's swimming pool - one of the plastic ones - and put a little water in it for her to get used to. I'd wait until she was comfy with that before taking her to a pond or a "large" body of water.

When you do take her to the pond, I'd start her off on the bank where her feet are the only things to get wet and slowly coax her in, letting her take her time.

If she doesn't seem comfortable with the water the first few tries, I'd give up. She just may not want to be a fish. :)

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I really wanted Lily to be able to enjoy the water. Last summer at her daycare she "accidentally" went in one of the wading pools (she was chasing one of her buddies around the yard and the buddy ran through the pool with Lily in hot pursuit). Anyway, before I invested in a kiddie pool I thought I'd try something on a smaller scale. I took my big roasting pan outside on my deck and filled it with warmish water. Needless to say, Lily did NOT take to the roasting pan like a fish takes to water. :shock:

I have to say that the thought of a chihuahua standing in a roasting pan on a deck makes me laugh out loud all over again. How I wish I'd taken a picture but that was BCP (Before Chi-People). :D

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
I really wanted Lily to be able to enjoy the water. Last summer at her daycare she "accidentally" went in one of the wading pools (she was chasing one of her buddies around the yard and the buddy ran through the pool with Lily in hot pursuit). Anyway, before I invested in a kiddie pool I thought I'd try something on a smaller scale. I took my big roasting pan outside on my deck and filled it with warmish water. Needless to say, Lily did NOT take to the roasting pan like a fish takes to water. :shock:

I have to say that the thought of a chihuahua standing in a roasting pan on a deck makes me laugh out loud all over again. How I wish I'd taken a picture but that was BCP (Before Chi-People). :D
Maybe you should have taken the potatoes and carrots out of the pan. It might have made her feel a little more secure. :lol:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Cooper said:
Rachael Polachek said:

Maybe you should have taken the potatoes and carrots out of the pan. It might have made her feel a little more secure. :lol:
Frankly, I think it was the gravy that scared her half to death. :wink:

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:

I can just picture Lily..and her expression LOL Thanks for a early morning chuckle !

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those of you who have shy dogs, how do they react around other dogs? Callie does the strangest things. If a dog approaches her, she'll run away, back down, or just act submissive. But if that dog turns and walks away she;ll run after him like she wants to play, but as soon as he turns back shes back to acting scared. She has warmed up to other dogs but it takes 2 or 3 days of constant contact. I just wonder if there is anything that I can do to help her out. we've tried the park but with so many big dogs around its a pretty scary place sometimes (though I try not to be nervous when another dog comes around so that callie won't pick up on that) There is only one doggy kindergarten that I've found but its expensive (30$ an hour!) and its more training than socializing with other dogs.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
check your nearest petsmart.. if there is not one in your area go on line and find the closest.. the only way to be unafraid is to try things... get her socializing with different dogs.. maybe getting her out of her usual routine might help?? I really don't know this is a tough one..

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Zabet said:
Those of you who have shy dogs, how do they react around other dogs? Callie does the strangest things. If a dog approaches her, she'll run away, back down, or just act submissive. But if that dog turns and walks away she;ll run after him like she wants to play, but as soon as he turns back shes back to acting scared. She has warmed up to other dogs but it takes 2 or 3 days of constant contact. I just wonder if there is anything that I can do to help her out. we've tried the park but with so many big dogs around its a pretty scary place sometimes (though I try not to be nervous when another dog comes around so that callie won't pick up on that) There is only one doggy kindergarten that I've found but its expensive (30$ an hour!) and its more training than socializing with other dogs.
Lily used to be just like that, scared of every dog. It took ages (and doggy daycare, which I know not everyone can afford) to get her more used to other dogs. Now she's fine with about 75% of the dogs we meet on our walks. She has so much more self confidence than she had in the beginning. I think you just have to keep at it and give it time and patience. Take her to some chi (or other small dog) meetups in your area. There is hope for the shy ones. :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
<sigh> I wish my dog wasn't so shy. :sign5:
Got any suggestions for how to calm down an overly friendly dog? And, please tell me it doesn't involve a roasting pan. :)

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Cooper said:
Got any suggestions for how to calm down an overly friendly dog? And, please tell me it doesn't involve a roasting pan. :)
No, no, that's only for swimming, duh. Calming down a an overly friendly dog requires a wok. Am I the only one who knows this stuff? :?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
Cooper said:
No, no, that's only for swimming, duh. Calming down a an overly friendly dog requires a wok. Am I the only one who knows this stuff? :?
I would think stir-frying would only cause him to get even more overzealous. Maybe if I put an extra shot of saki with a little bit of wasabi in there though....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts