Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, well as you all know...i finally pick up joey on monday!

you guys have watched her grow up threw the pictures from the breeder and the information i get from the breeder. but now...im bringing her home, she's going to be with me, finally......but im scared.....im still so excited and i cant wait to just love her...but...all these questions pop into my head.

what if i break her? she's so small, what if i trip over her? what if she doesnt like me? what if she crys too much? what if she does something weird and i have no clue what it is? what if she's doesnt want to eat right or be potty trained? what if she doesnt like her new home? what if what if what if.....so many things popping into my mind and its scary. i never had a chi before, i have had other dogs, never as small as a chi, and when i went to visit her i realised how small chis really are and got kinda freaked out.

all i want to do is love her and give her a loving home and anything she wants. i just hopes she wants that too :lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
You won't break her..... as long as you watch where you step, look before shutting doors, and check before you sit down on a chair or couch.

Oh, you'll trip over her gaurenteed! Chi's are so anxious to be with you that (especially when they are pups) will bounce around your feet, or dart in front of ya.......

Why shouldn't she like you?

Translate her cries into "I LOVE YOU, I WANNA BE WITH YOU 24/7!"

If she does something weird and you have no clue what it is you have this forum to turn to.

Potty training? hehe now thats another story :shock:

Quit worrying, and everything will be more than fine :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would say the biggest thing you have to watch for is them breaking or spraining their legs. No jumping off things, especially when young. Also if you have other animals watch out for dog wrestling. Innocent play can end up with a delicate chi having a sprained knee or broken ankle.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I was scared before we picked Bosco up too...I was even scared that perhaps I wasn't ready for the responsibility of a puppy but that all went away once we got home. Things have a way of working out. As long as you love your puppy, your puppy will love you. That's the great thing about Chihuahuas! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I echo what everyone says. Please be careful of the couch. Zeus was 9 weeks when he tried to jump off the couch and wound up hurting his leg for a few hours. I had the same fears as you and it's perfectly normal. I relate it much like bringing home a newborn for a first time mom.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Hi, I have to say one of the best things I bought for Mr.Peepers (I noticed from pics. others have them too) is a bell for the collar. Make sure it is a loud one. That way when you hear that bell you know Joey is near you. That's important because since chihuahua's traits are very similar, your Joey will probably want to follow you around and be wherever you are. Since I've had Mr. I noticed that I ALWAYS look down when I walk now. So I don't hurt him or step in an accident. :wink:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I was going to say exactly what Auggies Mom said about shuffle walking. Very important because the puppy will most likely stay very close to you.
Try not to worry too much, everything will fall into place. You sound like a typical new mother, lol.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Oh, I bet you're sooo excited!!! Well, I'm excited for you too!! Don't worry too much. Ditto what everyone else says. Instincts seem to always kick in and everything works out in the end. =) I definitely agree with the bell thing. It helps you know where they are at all times....and if they're getting into mischief!! :tongue3: Good luck!! Be sure to post pics as soon as you get them!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I will echo...we do the puppy shuffle around here..which is what we are doing right now..they can be there one minute and not the next.
Also, I like to use a collar with a bell-ferret collars come smaller than normal dog collars, adjust down smaller and usually come with a bell.
The bell is great, especially when they do not know their name and you don't have any idea which chair they are hiding under.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
With Auggie we sometimes think we should have named him ghost. He's always so close to us that if he's not we start looking around going where is the dog and then POOF from nowhere he is standing right beside you. It's scary. :laughing2:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just be careful and everything will be fine!

wow, i'm excited for you. I know how exciting it is to get a little fur baby of your own!!! Don't worry about hurting your little kid. Eventually you will trip over Joey, it just happens. All you can do is be especially careful in where you walk and how you do it! Also do watch where you sit. Chihuahuas love to burrow under blankets and under pillows (at least Neville does) I just have the habit now of lifting up the blankets before I sit or lay down. I think that the only thing that I have done to Neville is roll over on top of him while I was sleeping, because he likes to sleep really close up next to me. Although, now he does what my mom calls "body surfing" and if I move, he moves with me!!!! <laughs> I guess instead of me adapting to him, he adapted to me!!! :D

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh thankss so much everybody. i feel much better now. and thanks for the website im going to check it out now. well im not getting joey on the 28th again im now getting her on the 4th as an unfortune came up this week and well it would be best to get her next week. i am sooo excited and i have everything just waiting on her. ive been practicing my shuffle walk LOL.
ill let you guys know how it goes when my baby comes home :blob7:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts