Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My little girl has been having some problems with reflux. I think because my schedule changed and I have been feeding them right before bed. Anyway, several times over the past several months she has woken up spraying water all over, sneezing it out her nose and then reverse sneezing because her nose gets irritated. Last night she seemed not to come out of it right away and seemed like she was having trouble breathing so I threw on a sweatshirt and raced her down to emergency at 3:00am.

They were very nice and explained what was happening. Apparently when she slightly regurgitates and it wakes her she shakes her head because the fluid is irritating and gets in her nose. Thankfully my girl was ok, so I took her home and made an appointment today with my regular vet.

Went in and they did an exam, chest x-rays and bloodwork. Everything came out fine. But the vet read me the riot act about her diet! I told her I feed a raw diet and she got very hostile and said she wasn't getting any phosphorous! I was like "what??!!". Then she proceeded to tell me that egg shell calcium isn't bioavailable (I know of studies reflecting it is one of the BEST most bioavailable forms of calcium), etc. I just stood there.

What I wish I had said was "yeah. Cause I am sure the researched diet of fresh, whole, organic food my dog gets is nowhere near the fine quality of even the "best" dog food diet of baked parts of animals not fit for human consumption, with some vitamins thrown in, sprayed with some form of extruded fat to make it even a little appetizing and sitting in a bpa lined bag for several months. Yeah right." I am beyond irritated.

I also wish I had pointed out that now that dog food companies are so adept at forming such a super-dog diet, maybe they should form one for people! Think of the mint they could make! All of us who eat fresh, natural, whole foods are killing ourselves and shortening our lifespans! Oh and while we are at it, horse feed companies have been coming up with complete feeds for some time. Hope I don't get reamed by my horse vet for letting my horse eat *gasp* hay or grass! Yikes!

Sorry, I just had to vent. It was a long night and an even longer day. The good news is my baby girl is going to be fine! :)

Btw, I should point out that I have nothing against feeding kibble if one chooses, but I didn't appreciate being treated like an animal abuser for choosing raw. Especially when my bill was over $500!

·
Registered
786 Posts
That would be so aggravating! I've heard such great things about raw diets for dogs and I would totally do it if/when I have the money. For now, it's kibble. But so far, no problems & it gives my girl the nutrition that she needs. Plus, every so often she gets a little raw meat treat and that is perfectly fine with her! LOL. I'm glad to hear your pup is okay. That reverse sneeze can be so scary at times!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, this one episode was pretty scary. I had the chest x-rays done to make sure it wasn't megaesophagus. Thankfully it isn't.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Sorry you went through that. :( I don't have much advice for dealing with ignorant vets (who make a HUGE profit off their corn in a bag science diet and prescription foods). Phosphorus and calcium are in a perfect ratio in raw bones. You have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Hi! My chi, Zarita, has reflux. I feed her pre-made raw or 5 star kibble in the morning. She also takes Pepcid (vet Rx'd) for acid. Most of her problem is not eating. I assume from the bile build up in her stomach. She will upchuck very easily, usually fluid. She does better with the Pepcid. Good luck. Can you feed her main meal in the am? Then she could have a little bit before bed---8 pm so that she can have most of it digested? Good luck Sue PS, Sometimes it will be 5 pm or even later when she finally eats!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
The vet where I took Amberleah for her spay gave me the riot act too. I told her I did lots of research. I made a health power with lots of healthy additives. Bone meal, vita so on. Pray your baby get better with reflex.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts