Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was probably the most scary day! I brought Buttercup to the vet for her 6 month check up. She was given a clean bill of health and aslo recieved a rabies and parvo shot. She had had these shots before with no problem. Within a hour her eyes were swollen shut and her face ballooned up! I quickly gave her bendryll and rushed her to the vets office. The vet gave her a shot of steroid and bendryll. We also made us wait 30 minutes to see If the reaction got better or worst. About 30 minutes buttercups eyes weren't swollen but her face was still swollen but was making progress. The vet informed me that it could take a day or two until the swelling is completey gone. He aslo said next time she recieved shots he will give her bendryl first so this doesn't happen again. It's been over 2 hours now and she's still a little swollen and pretty much sleeping with all the bendryll. It was just so scary to see my baby like that! My vet was very proud that I acted fast gave her bendryll and rushed her for help. He said he has seen many dogs die from their owners not reacting to their dogs allergic reaction. Has any one experienced this with their chi? I'm
so happy buttercup will be ok!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've never experienced it with any of my own pets, but I have seen it happen many, many times where I work at the vet clinic... You definitely did the right thing and kudos to you!!!!!! :)

And we do the same at our vets where the next time we give shots we pre-treat with Benadryl for any animal who has this problem.

I am so glad your baby is ok! And at least now you know! :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
aww poor lil thing...no i naver had that problem with mine...
bonnie once got a lil bump on her neck when she got her shots but the vet said that can happen...i hope your lil baby feels better soon...xxx

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank y'all! She is doing good still swollen in the face but it's getting better. Just to see her in pain was horrible!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
How scary personally if it was my dog I wouldn't vaccinate her anymore that would be it!! Possibly look into a holistic route

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Scary indeed! If I were you I would not vaccinate ever again, as the next reaction will most likely be worse. Also if you do chose to vaccinate in the future, don't let them give more than 1 shot at a time, alternate years or wait about 6-8 weeks between shots. It's a huge overload to their system to receive more than 1 at a time. Heck even 1 shot is a huge overload to their system sometimes.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with Heather. No more vaccinations. If you do a search here, there's been lots of thread on this topic and over-vaccination. A severe reaction like your baby had would certainly be a reason NOT to give her shots again. And yes, she certainly will be protected against disease. You can do titers if you wish to check immunity.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I have to add to this since my Ninja can't b. Vaccinated anymore!

He had the same thing happen to him and the next shot he got benedryl 15 mins b4 the shot and he still got a very bad reaction hives all over his body face blew up eyes swelled shut etc then I had to go to a wedding in Jamaica at christmas and new years so I literally had noone to watch him and caved and got the shot again with benedryl and a steroid befor and He got the kennel cough one in the nose and had a horrible reaction to it he got so sick that his lymph nodes were so swollen in his neck he couldn't breath and was coughing uncontrollably and had to be put on antibiotics and he got hives all over his body 2 weeks after the shot!!! After that I told my vet to take him off of my file for yearly reminders of the shot he will never get them again we keep him away from outside dogs and don't bring him to petsmart unless its his bday but he can't walk on the floor lol I wouldn't get it again if I were you if you really want to try with the shot to see if it works then make sure u book the appt first thing in the am incase a reaction comes out he got his second reaction 9 hrs later so both times I had to rush to emergency and the third time since he just had hives they told me over the phone benedryl everyday til they're gone! Horrible experience ever!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow I I'm sorry your and your chi went through that! I'm extermly nervous about Buttercup getting another shot now. In 6 months when I go back to the vet I'll ask him about the titer test. What I love about this vet is he has Bern pracating for 40 years and he doesn't throw "drugs" on you like many vets. I will voice my concerns next time

Thanks for all the support !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts