Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier in the week I walked Pixel and my Collie on a very beautiful nature walk close to my home. It's a walk that goes all the way through west wales but we joined it off a busy road near our home that we have used a good few times.

The walk was fine but when we got about 100yrds from the road (a VERY busy road with lots of HGV's on it) I stopped to put the collie on her lead. Pixel was already on her puppia step in harness & lead. Pixel got very impatient and managed to slip out of the harness/lead!!!!

She immediately ran off towards the road! I was frantic. Every step I took towards her she made another run for the road! I was absolutely out of my mind. I did every trick in the book to get her back as she's a pup and she WON'T come when called (which is why I keep her on the lead!).

Eventually (just before my fatal heart attack!) I made a huge fuss of my collie and she came running out of jealousy! I scooped her up and carried her back to the car shaking like a leaf!

I vow NEVER to use that harness again - it works for loads of dogs but not for pixel. I have never been so scared!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I had a similar experience with one of the padded AKC harnesses they sell at PetCo. It kept coming out of adjustment (it was wet, and it doesn't hold adjustment when it's wet) and Dary slipped out of it when another dog was walking by our campsite. If he ever got into it with another dog, it would've a) automatically be his fault because he was a Doberman, and b) probably be the end of him with his CVI. I managed to body-block him and lasso him with the leash, but my heart stopped! Great strategy, playing on the jealousy...and good job not panicking and chasing her; that's always a bad plan.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Jadzia did the very same thing with her puppia, scared the life out of me. I won't use mine again.
It seems she just has to tuck her front legs back and push against the harness with her back legs and with me pulling back on the lead she just swims right out of the harness.
They look great but are a very bad design for my girl.

I'm glad pixel is fine and you've recovered from the heart attack.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had an experience like that when I first got Bailey.the more I tried to catch her the more she ran. I literally had to lunge at her and luckily I grabbed her. Unfortunately it was on concrete and I got some nice scratches but at least she was safe.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i knew that feeling soon as i read what you experianced its so scary when their out of our control because of danger all around and their so little so glad the oardeal turned out good

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys - it's just her puppia step in one that she seems to be able to do this in - not the over the head type. Funny as it does up with velcro you'd think it would be a snugger fit but no.

Never again anyway

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
How scary! I am so glad you were able to get her back unharmed!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Very scary, for sure. If you go off the other direction, especially with another dog, acting like you're having a really fun time, the loose dog will come running to you to join in the fun. It's very hard to do ... everything tells you to run after the loose dog and catch it! So glad everything turned out OK.

Jeanette

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
You must have been so scared. This just re-enforces how important the come command can be. (not that you can expect a puppy to know it) I'm sure once she is old enough she will never forget that command ha ha

Smart thinking I would have never thought to use the other dog like that I'll keep that in the back of my mind.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have one for Glyn, He also only has to get nervous and start backing up and he comes out of it, even though it is the right size for him, thing is their not cheap either are they,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts