Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Last night, Lily's eyes started to swell up. Not her actual eyes but the third eyelid near the inside corners of her eyes. I drove two hours home at about four in the morning last night so that I could get her to her normal vet as soon as they opened this morning. I got around two hours of sleep and when I woke up, her face was quite swollen. She wasn't lethargic at all but she was not comfortable and kept pawing at her poor eyes. I got her into the vet at 9:45 this morning and they were so sweet. She got a cortisone shot and we were given cortisone eye drops. I'm supposed to give her the eye drops three times a day for five days. It is now almost two o'clock and the swelling around her eyes has gone down substantially. The third eye-lid thing is still quite swollen. She is very sleepy (I can only assume from the cortisone shot) and I've been checking on her periodically. Has anyone else ever experienced something like this? Should I keep a lookout for side-effects from the cortisone shots? I can't eat or sleep and I'm absolutely sick about this. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
OMG sorry I have never had this happen before. I used to own a dog that had cronic cherry eye issues, but that was nothing like this. Poor baby I hope she gets well soon!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
OMG!!! Poor baby!! Did the vet say why it happened? Ive never had this happen to any of my dogs but can only imagine how scared I would be.

Hope she is all better soon!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
She probably got stung by a bee or bitten by a spider or something along those lines. In the future you can give her benadryl when this happens, that will stop the reaction, it's best to do it immediately as soon as you see/notice a reaction. I have seen instances where the dogs throat swelled shut and it couldn't breath due to a reaction. Zoey had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic (Zeniquin) when she was younger her face/eyes swelled up and she had welts all over her body. It was very scary for us, luckily she had the reaction while she was at work with me (I work for my dad who is a Veterinarian).

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
She obviously had a reaction to something. I agree with Heather's suggestion of benadryl to tide you over until you get to a vet. 1mg per pound is the standard dosage. I hope she is feeling better soon!!! I'm sure that was frightening.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Could she have been anywhere where she could have touch a toad?

My shih tzu Barney, now passed, had a similar reaction to the one side of his face but he had picked up a toad and it was holding on to the side of his face and the vet said toads excrete toxins that cause facial swelling and other side effects.

I agree with the benadryl, it always good to have some on hand and to give it at the first sign of an allergic reaction.

Jenna

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
OMGoodness, poor little girl! I agree with the Benadryl suggestion. That will stop it before it gets that bad. I would however take her to the Vet even after giving the Benadryl. That is def. a severe reaction. Hope she is feeling better now.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Nope never known anythign like this happen, seen horses get swellings but not a dog. Did the vet say what is was, what caused it?

Good to hear the swelling has come down and she is ok.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
That definitely is a severe reaction to something whether its environmental, a food allergy or a bite/sting of some sort. You need to keep Benedryl on hand until you know what she's allergic to. 1 mg for each pound she is. Hope she's feeling better. Midgie had a reaction like this (not as much swelling) but pretty severe as far as trying to scratch her face off. It was from eating an baby carrot I had in the fridge too long. It must have been bad, because she's not allergic to carrots according to her allergy panel screening. I never go anywhere without carrying Benedryl with me for Midge, myself or anyone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She is doing a lot better today! My vet definitely thought that she had a severe allergic reaction.. you guys were right! I now have Benadryl on hand just in case anything like this was to happen again. I am unsure what she could have gotten in to.. my vet thought maybe she was stung by a bee or bitten by a spider. The swelling in her face is entirely gone today but her eyes are still incredibly irritated. They are full of a mucousy-discharge that really bothers her.. poor thing. I can't wait until she's back to her happy self. The vet gave us antibiotic drops to give her three times a day for five days. He said it can take a while to recover from an allergic reaction so severe. Poor baby!

·
Registered
32 Posts
My chi Jovi just went through this and the vet we have on line said childrens benadryl would work it was a bug bite maybe bee and the benadryl worked fine she recovered very quickly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My chi Jovi just went through this and the vet we have on line said childrens benadryl would work it was a bug bite maybe bee and the benadryl worked fine she recovered very quickly.
How long did it take for Jovi to get back to her normal self? It has been almost two days for Lily :/

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Oh my, poor thing! I'm glad she's getting better & hope she's 100% back to normal VERY soon. I definitely agree about the Benedryl next time...until you're able to get to the vets. :)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Poor thing!
Lila had an allergic reaction to Nupro.
Her eyes, nose, and mouth got all red and very swollen. Benadryl worked.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is now Tuesday.. this happened Friday night and Lily's is having troubles keeping her eyes open. She must be sensitive to light or they must just really be uncomfortable :( I'm worried about her. Tomorrow is the last day of the antibiotic eye-drops. I'm hoping that when I stop the eye-drops she will be able to keep her eyes open and the pain will go away. She is so miserable :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts