Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love 'em - but never used them when I had pets (had a pacific parrotlet - and birds are supersensitive to scents/fumes). I was wondering if you guys use them around your dogs - and if so, which brands? I have a few nice smelling Glade candles but am hestitant to use them.

On a similar note: Flea does her "business" in the apartment on puppy pads. The pee smell is absorbed quickly...but if she has a poop - ERGH! The smell tends to linger, even when I flush it quickly. Any recommendations on air fresheners near the potty area?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I use all kinds of scented candles and my dogs don't seem to mind. José is still potty training so he still has a few accidents, and the best thing I have found to take the stink away is the new Febreeze Air Effects Spray. I don't know if you have it in Canada, but it works wonders! It takes the odor out of the air and replaces it with a nice pleasing scent. I really like them.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I use scented candles too and my dogs dont seem to mind too much - any airfreshner which has a neutraliser in is good or you could get one of the plug ins too keep it constantly fresh smelling - for little ones they sure do stink :lol:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Stinky poo is right!

I keep a can of air freshener in the bathroom (where the pad is located) and spray it when I pickup the poo. I told Dobbie last night that his "poo sure does stink!" and he just looked at me. I always know when he's finished because he comes running out of the bathroom to tell me all about his business! "I did it Mommie, I did it!"

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I use Glade candles and Yankee candles and have never had a problem with the dogs or my lovebirds. I have heard in the past that candle wicks made of stiff wiry stuff (I don't know the name of it) might be dangerous/toxic to animals and humans. Not sure if true.

As far as air fresheners, I like Febreze Air Effects and Lysol Neutra-Air. Just a little spritz seems to go a long way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I go the safe side, no candles, no airfreshner, no spritzers. I avoid all scented products.

Mostly for my sake, I'm highly allergic to perfumes/colognes, any chemical scent. I have bad allergic asthma.

I know that most people don't like when people wear too heavy perfume/cologne, I can't imagine how dogs must feel in houses with heavy scents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts