Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed Leila scratching at her ears alot lately. And sometimes she bites at her side. I'm wondering if she could have a flea. She was checked at the vet friday and was fine, but she could still have gotten them since then. I didnt choose to put her on anything cuz she's so small. I was afraid to. But even though she doesn't go outside my other dogs do. With the ears i'm wondering about ear mites. Ugh the thought of that stuff makes me sick. Her ears look perfect inside, but she is scratching them often.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
It sounds like it could be food allergies, esp. if she's biting at her feet, too. Or it could be ear mites, too. I think fleas take a good bit to really make them itchy, but we don't really have them here in CO.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Check for fleas.. look on the back of her neck.. What did they worm her with? My wormer/flea preventative does ear mites too... Also don't worry about 'fleaing' her. I flead Daisy at 1lb 5oz and she had no problems. Check her ears for debrie too.. she could just have an itch or dry skin

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I agree it could be allergies. It could also be dry skin if you bathe her a lot, make sure you rinse well too. For fleas you can take her outside and go over her really well with a flea comb, also check for flea droppings which looks like black pepper.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, i did change her to wellness. but since it really just her ears, i dont' really think thats the culprit. I will check her ears again, they looked perfect yesterday. with her being black checking for a flea is not easy, i will do that too. They wormed her with panacur or something like that. I have bathed her 1 time. Don't have a flea comb, but i will check her out.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
she just got a complete exam 4 days ago, so i doubt it. I don't know, maybe i'm just paranoid.
Daisydoo, glad to know that you are using flea preventative on your little one. I just felt really unsure about it. The vet looked her over and she had no fleas or anything. I will probably get her some asap.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I HATE FLEAS. with that being said, Paco scratches his ears to. He has no fleas and he has no mites his ear are as clean as a whistle. Paco does eat wellness and has for about 1 1/2 years, but I can't say he itches any more than usual. I don't know, I think they just have and itch once in while just like we do.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You could always take her back to the vet and have them look at her ears with a scope to rule out ear mites. That would give you some peace of mind. Do your other dogs have fleas? Or have they been treated? Unless fleas are pandemic in your area and/or your other dogs have them, I'd really doubt she has fleas unless you see them on her. If you hold her upside down on your lap for awhile (like if she's sleeping), you will SEE the fleas crawling across her belly. On a tiny dog, they are obvious, even if they are black. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts