Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dixie is on Revolution, but she's constantly scratching and chewing at herself like she has fleas. I've checked her from head to toe. No flaky skin, rash, fleas. A girl came into my boyfriends shop with her chi and said hers did the same and she uses garlic powder in her pups food. I've heard of people using this as a natural alternative for fleas. I've also heard that garlic in certain amounts can be harmful. She also said this is another chi peeve to add to the list. What is your opinion?

·
Registered
236 Posts
The scratching may have nothing to do with fleas at all.

Not sure what food you have her on, but have you considered food allergies as the cause? Could even be a reaction to the shampoo you use on her. I wouldn't add anything else to get rid of fleas until you have ruled out other sources for her itching....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
She's been eating the Purina Healthy Morsels Puppy and I give her a big teaspoon of chicken baby food w/broth as a treat twice a day. It could be food allergy, I gave her the Cesars Puppy moist food the other day. Didn't think about that. I bathed her in puppy shampoo before I applied her Revolution 2 weeks ago. So I'm thinking it may be the Cesars.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Boy, is this a familiar story! Bichons are notorious for itching/scratching and I've fought the battle for years. I don't think you need to add anything for fleas, but maybe check the food for wheat, corn, other grains that the dog might be reacting to. Changing to a low-ingredient food might help, just chicken or turkey and not much else. Cosmo, my Bichon, gets along great for quite a long time, then suddenly starts scratching for no reason I can figure out. He usually has a flare-up in the spring when we first start going outside often and he's in the grass. I use Gold Bond medicated powder and give him Benadryl. If it gets really bad, the vet will give him a shot. I have resorted to putting a onesie on him. Lavender Chihuahua doesn't scratch more than normal, thank goodness.

Jeanette

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lavender is adorable. Grass allergies I am familiar with. As I use to groom dogs and had to put poodle feet on even cockers. We have had her out in the grass but I'm new to this Revolution I apply once a month so bathing her often is not an option, only before I apply it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Lavender is adorable. Grass allergies I am familiar with. As I use to groom dogs and had to put poodle feet on even cockers. We have had her out in the grass but I'm new to this Revolution I apply once a month so bathing her often is not an option, only before I apply it.
Thanks. Lavender is a very special little girl. She came to live with us after we lost our Bichon girl, Lacy, and she has been a real blessing. Cosmo gets better as the summer goes on and he's out in the grass more. It seems to be bad when he first starts getting to go out a lot.

Jeanette

·
Registered
355 Posts
Don't know where you're at, but here the tree pollen has been wicked (up until yesterday's snow storm, that is). Kali has problems with it every year and we put her back on Claritin at the first sign. Definitely check with your vet on dosage, though - my vet said it wasn't weight dependent, but he was talking about my 85 lb. and 40 lb. dogs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would agree that the culprit is likely not fleas. Food allergies does seem like a possible suspect. Also, how often do you bathe her? Maybe she is being bathed too much? Or maybe she is even allergic to the Revolution? Also, were you using the Revolution to treat fleas, or preventatively? Because this is only my OWN opinion and I am not suggesting for you to follow it unless you want to, but I never use flea preventative on my dog, and, if she were to get fleas, I would use Advantage the one time just as a treatment. All of those medications are essentially toxic poisons that flow in an animal's bloodstream and intestinal track and, like overvaccinating, can cause toxic buildups that research has shown may lead to cancers and other health problems.
As a vet tech, I can't even tell you how many dogs I've seen come in seizuring or in liver failure due to such medications (yes, it's usually from cheap knock offs like the Hartz spot-on or whatever it's called, but often times it is from the "good stuff" too.)

Also, remember that the more things the medicine treats or prevents against, that means the more toxins there are in it, which is why I always recommend Advantage(simple) for flea treatment, especially for dogs the size of ours. :)
Additionally, if Revolution helps with mange, then that means it contains Amitraz which, if you've ever used it, is horribly smelly and burns my eyes just being near it...so imagine what it does to your chi! And why would they even put a mange treatment in Revolution??? Unless a dog has mange they should not be medicated for it. :p

Anyway, I am sorry I wrote a novel, and I am not at all trying to criticise your care of your pet. I am just wondering if this Revolution is something you really need to do and whether or not it may be contributing to the problems you are seeing in the ways I described.

:) Good luck!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I posted somewhere on this site about garlic. I think the reason you have to be wary about mass dosing is because its in the same family as onions. and onions are harmful. I have not looked farther into this to see if garlic has the same accumalitive effect that onions have, but i know PLENTY of people who dose garlic, or garlic pills to their dogs, and only speak well of it. I would ask your vet though first, since onion leaves a "posion" (?) in the system that accumalates as the dogs eat more onion. Your vet should know for sure if it is too close to onion or not. Don't go by what i say :) This is just what i know about it :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
scratching

and on a side note, Lavender is adorable!!!! omg! :)
Thanks a bunch. I think she's just about the most beautiful little girl I've ever seen. Cosmo and I had such a very bad time after losing Lacy and Lavender has helped our hearts heal. She's just as sweet as she is pretty!

Jeanette

·
Registered
477 Posts
I used to put a tablespoon of white vinegar in the dog's water every day to keep the gnats/mosquitoes from biting them, especially their ears. These were big, outdoor dogs, that were outside most of the time, but came inside, too. I use Advantage now and put it on Cosmo and Lavender every month during warm weather. We have a lot of cats loose in the neighborhood and some dogs that are out and about a lot, too, so fleas are a big problem. Cosmo reacts quickly and if he gets even one flea bite, he will scratch himself bloody. I don't like putting Advantage on them, but haven't found an alternative that works. I can't afford to experiment much. Cosmo will wind up at the vet's getting shots and I'll be dealing with him for weeks trying to get him comfortable. Once he starts scratching, it just escalates. It's a real concern and if anyone has a solution, I would love to hear it!

Jeanette

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The very first thing I would do it change her food if there's any way you can afford a better kind. I think she's reacting to something she's eating, rather than fleas. When I first rescued Tango his coat was awful....patchy, dry, flaky, and he scratched all the time. I did nothing medical for him, other than switch him up to the highest quality food I could find in my area. It wasn't cheap, but he ate so little that it lasted a long time. Seriously I didn't do ANYTHING else....no medicine, no bathing, nothing. Within a week he stopped scratching incessantly. Within a month his coat looked completely different, no more flaking, no more dryness, and the patches had started to fill in. And within 3 months his coat looked and felt gorgeous....soft, glossy, full.

Please start there...with food. dogfoodanalysis.com will give you a rating system you can use. Can't remember if the food you're currently feeding is on there, but if it is I can guarantee you it's rated very low.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts