Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, thanks for making me and Poppy feel so welcome!
I have a question;Poppy seems to have mites or fleas as she is scratching herself silly 24/7. I took her to the vet the day after we bought her for a general check up and he said that we should wait a week and bring her back, when he would give her a bath and treat her scratching. We live in CHINA (!!) and althoughI asked him if there was a way to relieve her scratching he insisted that we wait a week. This seems unfair. Does anyone know of a way to treat this problem, bearing inmind she is only 10 weeks old? Is it forbidden to bath a tiny puppy? Does anyone know of a special powder or shampoo we can use (its probably not available in CHINA!!)Or does anyone have a tried and trusted remedy?
Thanks!!!
:D

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
do they not have a puppy shampoo - I would just bath her and this should get rid of them I would try just regular baby shampoo if not and giver her a good scrub with it - no it is fine to bath a puppy as lond as she has settled in :wave:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi Camilla,
maybe your vet has his reasons to tell you to wait for a week before washing Poppy...
but what I know is that I was told by my vet to wash Pupa at age of 7 weeks only with a normal anti-flea shampoo that is suitable for puppies.
it helped a lot :wave:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Are you sure these are fleas after all? Richie used to scratch a lot, but we figured out that it was because he had extremely dry skin. So, our doctor gave us a special shampoo for that. For dogs with dry skin anti-fleas shampoo is very bad, it makes it even worth! So, I would wait what doctor says. (strange though that you have to wait for a week...)

Richie's mom

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Callie has been itchy too and has even lost some hair. :eek: When the vet did a skin scrape last week it came back negative for mites. I had just given her a bath the day before and she was really flaky. The vet thinks that she has extremely dry skin that is ictchy. The more she scratches, the more hair will come out. He gave me some Omega 3 fatty acid oil to put on her food once a day.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hey SC,

José has a skin issue too, he has taken 4 weeks of antibiotics already, and 2 neg skin scrapes, and he still itches and has lost quite a bit of hair on his paws and such. I went and got him Omega 3/6 fatty acid vitamins myself to give him once a day, I think it might be working :twisted:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Oh that is good to hear Joebeans! I'm so worried about my little Callie. It seems it is always something with her. :lol: But hey if it is working for Jose hopefully it will work for Callie too! :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm also giving him a little bit of home remedy baths ... some aveeno baths like you use for chicken pox to stop the itching... its ALOT cheaper than this stupid shampoo the vet got me to buy! I am tired of wasting money at the vet, I don't think he needs antibiotics so I'm not buying anymore. I don't want him to develop a resistance and then have something MAJOR happen down the road and antibiotics are REALLY needed!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Oh the Aveeno baths are a good idea! I don't blame you for not wanting to give him so many antibiotics. I just hope that dry skin is really Callie's problem and that it isn't something more serious. I'm a worry wart. :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm alllll about home remedies. I go to a midwife instead of an OB/GYN MD! I DO think he had some sort of infection, but I think it is gone now, he doesn't have the pustules on his back, and the hair has grown back on his back and sides now. I think he has doggie dandruff. Perhaps he just needs a good tar n' featherin! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the helpful tips guys...Poppy has stopped scratching so much, as the vet gave her a special bath yesterday.Apparently she can have something like Frontline when she is 3 months old.
I am so grateful to all the suport and super people on here, what would i do without you.
By the way, no one tells you that when you become the owner of a Chi baby it is more stressful that raising a human baby!
Have a great day everyone
:wave:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Chi's

Several years ago, I told my daughter (who is a certified veterinary paramedic) that I wanted a Chi. She said that Chi's are prone to skin problems, etc. I've noticed with Dobbie that he's extremely sensitive to fleas and will scratch himself raw even when the flea is GONE! I must keep the "Advantage" going on a regular basis, even if it's before the month is up.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks I will keep that in mind. It does seem that even though Poppy now has no fleas, she still scratches as if she has!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts