Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need any ideas any of you may have. Chloe is SCREMING in pain, at first I thought she had a dew claw caught in her sweater.Her nails look o-k But she is still distressed. I can't pin point where exactly where her problem is. Maybe her neck??? Not sure she cowers down and doesn't want to move. When I pick her up she screams, when I move her she screams. I gave her half a baby asperin. She doesn't want to drink or eat.
Give me some ideas, I just don't know what could be wrong. She was fine when I put her to bed. Help please.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gosh! i think id get her to the vet if no better soon, is she holding a leg, or how does her back and tail look,
No, she's not holding a leg. She doesn't mind me running my hand down her back and she's just keep her tail tucked and is staying all crouched down.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I will be calling the emergency vet if she keeps this up. I can't stand this.
I did get her to eat a small bit of chicken. She wants to be away from the other dogs. I have 2 crestie pups that are very wild so I have sepered her and letting her rest, watching close, see if baby asperin helps.
I was gone for quite awhile yesterday but there is nothing for her to jump off of in the dogs safe room. I just don't know what could be the problem. Usually you see something to give a clue as to what it could be.

·
Registered
469 Posts
She`s maybe been lying awkwardly and trapped a nerve, this does happen, but should release , id take her to vets i think unless she starts to improve, eatings a good sign,

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe anal glands,can you have a look there
I have tried to run hands all over her to try to pin point problem, hard to tell cause she screams just moving her but I did check her bottom and no problem there that I can tell. No swelling or puffiness.

·
Registered
644 Posts
poor baby.
i'd get her to the vets.
is her tummy alright? does it feel soft or hard?
i'm thinking she might of eaten something she shouldn't have.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She`s maybe been lying awkwardly and trapped a nerve, this does happen, but should release , id take her to vets i think unless she starts to improve, eatings a good sign,
do you think maybe with dew claw caught in sweater she had to hold her leg a certain way and it caused the problem? I don't know when in the night she got it caught, but the nail is intack and not damaged at all. I had been leaving sweaters on the past week or so cause it's sooo cold here right now.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
poor baby.
i'd get her to the vets.
is her tummy alright? does it feel soft or hard?
i'm thinking she might of eaten something she shouldn't have.
That was my thought too. She hasn't gotton into anything that I know of but I do have 2 teenagers in the house that can leave down left over food that the dogs diffentely don't need to eat.
Her tummy feels o-k, but I don't know how her poo looked this morning or if she even went. i asked hubby cause he let her out after getting dew claw unhooked (thinking that was the only problem) and he didn't watch her. So I'm not sure. I usually let them back out around lunch time so i will keep a watch and see if she goes then.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am waiting to hear back from the vet. He is out on a farm call. We are small rural town and hhis wife said she would have him call me as soon as he comes in.
Chloe is acting alot better now but I assume it's because the baby aspirin has kicked in. She has stoped screaming. Thank goodness. Still just wants to lay.
Thanks everyone for coming on with replys and offering ideas. I am so grateful for the support I get from you all.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd bet it was a disc. I had a frenchie that had intervertebral disc disease and when it flared up, she was in horrible pain and would scream like that when touched. HORRIBLE. My guess would be something with her spine. Please let us know what the vet says. It isn't something you can treat at home with aspirin, she will need x-rays and steroids if it is a disc/spinal problem.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd bet it was a disc. I had a frenchie that had intervertebral disc disease and when it flared up, she was in horrible pain and would scream like that when touched. HORRIBLE. My guess would be something with her spine. Please let us know what the vet says. It isn't something you can treat at home with aspirin, she will need x-rays and steroids if it is a disc/spinal problem.
I agree, that was my first thought too.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tracy, does it happen all of sudden like that? She's never, never acted anything like this before. And I don't think she has ever had any injurys, I didn't get her till she was 7 or 8 months old. So I don't know about her early puppy life.
I have no knowledge about intervertebral disk disease. I'm completely in the dark if that is what it is.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
How old is she?

It's all speculation until you get a vet's workup. But the disc disease came on pretty suddenly for Piper. Little things, like going down the stairs slower than usual, and not wanting to play as much... but then one day I went to pick her up and she arched her back and screamed. It was terrifying. You couldn't even touch her without her screaming in pain. We loaded her into the car and went to the ER vet that minute. They diagnosed the disc disease and we managed it with pain medicine and steroids. NO surgery or anything. But she would occasionally have bad flare ups. It is very, very painful.

We can all guess on causes, but you have nothing to go on until she's examined. Maybe it will be something simple and easily treated. I hope so!! Keep us posted!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts