Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!

I got my chi last year. She was born in September, so is not yet a year old. (still a baby herself)

here she is:

she is called lola and as you can see she is a 'blond' long hair chi.

she generally gets on well with my bengal cat Tilly:

but she always wants to play with her, which Tilly is ok with for 5 minutes and then it turns nasty and lola plays too rough with her and tilly sceams! :( now lola doesn't mean it in a nasty way - she is only playing in her eyes, not realising that cats play differently...now i think she would LOVE to have another chi to play with. now the only problem is, my other half is not keen on the idea to have another pet...he adores lola and tilly though, and wasn't too keen on getting them at the beginning either! but i don't want to take the micky if you know what i mean...anyway today i found out that the people i got lola from (they live about 10 mins away from us) have 3 female puppies for sale. they would be related to Lola.

here they are:

i've totally fallen in love with the girl on the far left. she is short hair. it would be nice to have a short hair as well as a long hair...my partner told me about them BUT doesn't want me to get one?! :(

anyway my original question: do you think it would be a good idea to get a new chi, I mean do you think it would be nice for Lola?

all comments appreciated.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I would make sure that your partner is keen on the idea first. If you can agree then I think it would be nice for her to have a play mate. She is at a good age to introduce another. Make sure that she will do well with her and their personalities do not clash first though. Introduce them on neutral territory. Is she spayed? If not then I would look into getting them both spayed, the pup closer to 6 months though. Females, can have issues with each other when unaltered. I hope this helps.

I wanted to add that she is a doll and I love the picture of her and the kitty :) I love the puppies too!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
If you're partner agrees I'd get one! 2 is a Lot easier they keep each other company! I have 4 but 2 live with me and 2 with the other half we actually decided on the 4th because prada lived with the OH alone she Is so much happier now and the 2 of them are bffs!

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I just got my second chi may 31st. I am sooo happy i did too. I already had a one year old chi and a boxer and a mix but they don't really like to play as much as my chi (Leila) does. So that being 1 reason i wanted another (the other was just because i wanted another ;) ) It is turning out just how i had envisioned it. I wish they snuggled more but i know that takes time. But BOY do they have a ball playing together.
My hubby didn't know I was getting the first chi and he didn't know i was getting the second. But, he would've said NO and i wasn't taking no for an answer. Plus it was my own money and I am taking care of them *(i work at home)* he's gone all time at work sooo....
It went fine as far as him being angry, shocked etc. The second chi (my little boy Finn) was actually easier than the first. ;)
My suggestion is getting the opposite sex of what you have. Unless you just do not want a boy. But i think opposite sexes are more accepting of eachother. Just me :)
Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your comments guys! yes my lola is spayed already! :) I would take lola to meet the pups first to make sure they get on. as lola comes from the same breeder, i am sure they'd be more than happy for me to meet the new pup together with lola first a few times. i went to see Lola LOADS before i took her home! it wasn't a problem at all. I was nice as i got to know her mum really well and met her dad twice too! :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I have 2 of each gender and both male/female combo get along better! Prada is the child of baby and ninja and baby will never cuddle with her she bosses her around a lot they are both unspayed at the moment they don't fight but prada and ninja are literally obsessed with each other they're always cleaning each other and snuggling. I know some other members have all male or female and they get on fine I guess it all depends on personality

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I have 2 of each gender and both male/female combo get along better! Prada is the child of baby and ninja and baby will never cuddle with her she bosses her around a lot they are both unspayed at the moment they don't fight but prada and ninja are literally obsessed with each other they're always cleaning each other and snuggling. I know some other members have all male or female and they get on fine I guess it all depends on personality
Yes I am sure that's true. Many have several of the same sex and they get along just fine.
But as a precaution if you don't have a preference it's just a "safer" choice to get one of each sex since the odds are a bit better for getting along. ;)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi is your birthday or another special day soon maybe anew baby chih would be the perfect gift to ask for good luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys!! I have settled down for now i think. Me and my partner discussed it and he is really not keen. I think if I just get one and turn up with it, it'll be fine he wouldn't kick us out or anything, but I'm not like that. So I think i will have a better chance of making him agree to this (it's not like he is angry or anything for me considering another chi) when Lola is a bit older and well trained. I am taking her to classes every week. Two weeks ago she was upgraded from puppy class (she has a nice certificate :) ) to bronce class. So that's what we are training for at the mo and my partner is really impressed! but wait until she passes her bronze! he'll be proper impressed then!! :) I think Lola would get on better with a male, thinking about it. her best friends are mostly male (not chi's though) and she made a new friend on a walk yesterday, who we will see more often from now on. he is a little terrier called buster. they loved each other from the start!!! :) so I will wait for now. the chi's available at the mo are all female which i have decided now wouldn't be ideal. I think a male would be the better choice! So i am just gonna wait a bit and see what happens! :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Absolutely love the pic of Lola and your cat :)
My husband didnt really want me to get another chi, but well he eventually gave in and I got Bailey! I'm sure when the time is right you will be able to get another little addition, and like you said your training is going really well so when the time is right you will have learned loads and it will all come naturally for your next one! X

·
Banned
51 Posts
Hi

If you do choose to get another please do not take Lola with you to your breeders. It's likely if the pups are young that they willnot be immunised and will be susceptable to all sorts of diseases. Lola I assume has Been out and about around other dogs and could carry someething :(

A reputable breeder would not let you take your dog with you please please think about this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts