Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I REALLY LOVE OUR VET,but have you ever just wanted to just reach out and get a second opinion?Is this a bad thing??Kinda feels like it.And how do we know a second opinion is the right thing to do

·
Registered
437 Posts
A second opinion is NEVER a bad thing!
I think it is in the best interest of the dog to do so.
Sometimes a vet get stucked with his own ideas, a second opinion from another vet can be refreshing.
And... 2 vets know more than one...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Kinda like people if a doctor told me I had something and did not really believe it I would get a second opinion. So yes if you think something is not what it seems get a second opinion.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
What? Of course it is not bad.

Do you feel like you would be "cheating" or something? This is a professional that you pay to provide a service.

I have a main Vet, another who does nail trims, weighs and simple stuff and one of my girls sees a Holistic vet as well.

The most important thing to me is the health and well being of my dogs. I'm not going to tiptoe around a doctor's feelings when I know and understand that.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
We actually did that with Cricket. I had an emergency couple of months ago, and had to take her to a different vet than our own. This vet told me her teeth were bad and she needed oral care asap cause she had bad teeth. Well, I give her chewys so I know her teeth aren't bad. I took her to our vet, and asked him, and he said her teeth were fine, and that she really didn't even need a cleaning. He said they looked good for her age.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just feel like maybe another vet could do something about my babies skin.I think our vet is out of ideas

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just feel like maybe another vet could do something about my babies skin.I think our vet is out of ideas

Well.... if you think that, go with your feelings!! You just gave yourself the best reason to get an second opinion!
You should not care about the vets feeling, just think about your doggie.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Maybe call around, and ask other vets. Tell them what all you've tried already, and maybe you can find one that with help specifically with the skin issues, and you can still keep your vet.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
It never hurts for a fresh set of eyes to look at a situation. Mate a second opinion will be able to see something you and your vet aren't seeing being so close.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I was in exactly the same position myself two weeks ago and eventually I got a second and third opinion, this helped me make a difficult decision especially as they all agreed so it can only be a good thing. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
There are canine dermatologists. Ask your vet for a referral. He/she will probably be glad IF they are 'all out of ideas'. I asked mine for a referral to a neurologist when the phenobarbital doseage wasn't helping my dog. Turned out the neurologist increased the doseage by half! Just ask your vet something like " gee I wish you knew a good skin doctor for dogs 'cause we've tried everything and she's still miserable. Sue

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
There are canine dermatologists. Ask your vet for a referral. He/she will probably be glad IF they are 'all out of ideas'. I asked mine for a referral to a neurologist when the phenobarbital doseage wasn't helping my dog. Turned out the neurologist increased the doseage by half! Just ask your vet something like " gee I wish you knew a good skin doctor for dogs 'cause we've tried everything and she's still miserable. Sue
How wonderful!!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts